1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have you noticed the trend for......

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Arched Eyebrow, Jul 26, 2011.

1. having words displayed in rooms - as decor?
    It's becoming laughable but I know so many people who have bought into it that they might be offended by my chuckling. [​IMG]
    Not only that...people are buying Union Jack cushions, the "Keep Calm and Carry On " posters, spelling out their children's names in letters on the wall, and draping bits of fabric bunting everywhere because they have become trendy. These trends have become so common.
    I guess I just don't buy into stuff that is everywhere and being like everyone else.
    I have seen a business opportunity though. [​IMG]
    As well as the usual
    'Cuisine' 'Eat' 'Food' and 'Cook' signs for the kitchen, 'Relax', 'Chill' 'Home' ones for the living room, 'Bathe' and "Soak" ones for the bathroom and 'Love' ones for the bedroom I have produced some edgy and ironic ones for the discerning interior decorator.
    For the loo I have Urinate and Defecate, and for the more urban amongst us, 'Dribble',''****' and '****'
    For the bedroom I have a lovely Shag sign for over the bed and in the bathroom I think "Limescale" "Soggy Towels" and 'Scum' might be winners.
    In the kitchen only the brave will display "Muck" and "Inedible" in shiny letters on their walls or shelves.
    I can't be the only one laughing at the number of homes displaying words in each room? [​IMG]

2. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

Great thread, really made me laugh. I may have a go at making a 'defecate' for the bathroom.

3. I don't want sh@g in my bedroom, rather 's0d off and let me sleep'. I could also do with sit still, tidy and quiet for my front room :) great thread!
    just as long as you don't make it with the results of doing it [;-)]

4. After reading this thread I am really keen to have them in my classroom now! Oh the possibilities.................. SAND WATER PLAY SNACK READ WRITE They would look brill!
    Even though everyone else has them I do like my COOK one. My husband usually takes one of the O s away!
    In my son's room we have BOY but since the terrible threes we have changed it to YOB !

5. [​IMG] Take a moment to climb out of your own ****. Cheap and cheerful?! Garden Centre up the road sell the letters at £7.99 each!
    When I bought my first flat, stencilling was all the rage. Looking for inspiration in a home mag, I saw latin phrases painted onto a hall wall. I did my own version, but not in latin;
    "You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on"
    I was so pleased with myself!

6. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

What about I'D RATHER HAVE CHOCOLATE in the bedroom?!
    Or FU.CKINGPIS.SWAN.KBUG.GERYHELL in the staffroom?!
    I confess to having a 'Keep Calm and Carry On' poster, but got it before the slogan became so well known. It really struck a chord with me, as I pretty much live my life saying this! [​IMG]

7. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter

I have to confess to having worked in crosstitch the Latin tag 'Sunt Lacrimae rerum et mentem mortalia tangunt' more than 30 years ago. It's in a frame that hangs over the entrance to the bathroom and loosely translated it means' Life is a pi$$pot'

8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

For a staffroom I'd have 'Semper in faecibus sumus, sole profundum variat'

Transl: We're all in the sh*t, only the depth varies.

9. Paradoxicalgirly

Paradoxicalgirly New commenter

I like that Nutella!
    I've had in my kitchen for a few years a sign which says "Eat, drink and be scarey" and another one which says "Love food, be happy" - which, given Mr Para's family's issues is quite ironic.
    I saw another sign yesterday which read "Remember, as far as everyone knows, we're just a nice, normal family" - which really appealed to me!

10. I feel so left out!! I have not seen this lettering on walls, except maybe "LOVE" which I assume is for teenaged girls' bedrooms. However if I came across a set of bowls with "SLOP" "SLURRY" "SLUDGE" and "SLIME" on them I would be sorely tempted.
    I do have a round breadboard with "Bread" carved along the side, which I rather like. Nice for vegetarian guests who can rest assured that it would never have been used to carve meat on, for instance.
    This is the only item we own with a handy noun on it to assist identification. I think I have resisted the labelled storage jars because I wouldn't want to commit to keeping the right thing in them. And am far too lazy to decant coffee, tea and sugar into a jar, especially since it probably wouldn't all fit, which would give you the highly unsatisfactory situation of having the jar labelled "coffee" and the jar / bag that you bought it in, with its bit at the bottom that wouldn't fit, waiting for there to be space in the jar. And which would you use up first? Would you use it out of the labelled jar, and then top up with the stuff from the bottom of the original packaging, or would you use up the stuff that didn't fit first?
    I could never handle the stress.

11. Andy_91

Andy_91 New commenter

This is a bit of a one-dimensional discussion.
    It seems to be focused on some sort of perception of taste and seems to be allotting 'value' to some objects and not to others.
    Displays of objects and the sort of stuff you seen on mantelpieces are far more interesting once you get beyond this superficial way of looking at things. One crucial aspect of display that is missing here is the gift. People may display gifts from friends, children, parents, grandparents and thence there are a whole range of meanings attributed to the gift, not least possibly an obligation to display. Then where is it displayed? If the receiver does not like the gift, they may relegate it to a dark hallway, but equally if they value the person who gave it, it may have pride of place. Typically gifts from young children, handmade, brought back from school trips etc are displayed prominently - they represent a memory, an effort made in creating the gift, and the display of it can reinforce someone's perception of themselves as a good mother for example.
    I suspect a lot of the wordy artefacts are presented as gifts; some may well have been purchased by the displayer so it would be more interesting to hear why they are displayed. One possibility for their popularity could be because they are 'safe'. If you feel that people might be laughing at pictures or prints, then words might be seen as safe. Something that can be displayed that might be thought to be snob-proof.
    Display can also be used to mark territory. Women have typically been more concerned with housework and decor and some rooms are managed to keep partners and children at bay. I can see how a combination of word display and colour, together with furniture marking boundaries can create what might be seen as excessively feminised spaces.
    Children also display things - the Lego construction isn't just clutter to be tidied away, it is a sort of created artefact and its place on the floor is usually a space a child wants to annex for themselves.
    Equally decor might be used to express power, make people feel uncomfortable and keep people out. It can also be used to find out which of one's friends and acquaintances have pretensions to good taste.

12. Did you mistake this thread for a lecture theatre, may-or-may-not-be-Andy?

13. anon468

anon468 New commenter

14. Why do you say "pretensions to good taste"? Some people already have good taste.

15. Of course, taste is very subjective but I certainly know good taste when I see it.

16. This is ugly:
    [​IMG]

This is not:
    [​IMG]

17. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

This is pretentious

18. It's not - imo. I love that style and borrow a great deal from it.

19. *chuckle* I was thinking along the same lines airy.
    I find it amazing that some people really seem to be humourless and take what is a fairly light-hearted thread so seriously. Does everything have to lead to such leaden discussions?
    Perhaps Andy (or another user using Andy's log in) and Moonpenny have invested heavily in word decor? I bet they don't have 'Chill' in any of their rooms....[​IMG]

20. This is ugly:
    [​IMG]

I agree, but it could be made beautiful. The proportions of that room are lovely.
    What a ghastly chair...the one we can just glimpse.