1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have you had laser eye surgery?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by netsy2, Sep 8, 2011.

1. I am thinking of having laser eye corrective surgery after a lifetime of wearing glasses. I also want to be able to recommend it to my daughter who is very short sighted.
    Has anyone had experience of this and how was it for you?
    Thanks
    Netsyx

2. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

I haven't had it, but our son has. He was denied entry into the Royal Navy as an officer because of his poor eyesight. He had always worn glasses.
    He was referred by his GP and went privately to a clinic in Harley Street. Altogether it cost about £2500, three years ago. He said it didn't hurt and he noticed an improvement immediately. He had to wait a year for things to 'settle down' before he was reassessed for the navy but passed second time with no trouble. He has not worn glasses since.
    It is very important to be referred through your GP and not to go to any old advertised clinic. Your GP will know where can be recommended. Our son was referred to a Harley Street clinic because his eye problem was complicated and he wanted to be certain that the laser surgery was done extremely well.

3. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

Had mine done at the start of the summer holidays. I was -3.75 in my right eye and -1.75 ion my left. I also had severe astigmatism in both eyes.
    I had Ultralase surgery with Wavefront (Google for details) Lasik surgery and it was fantastic. Nowhere near as unpleasant as I had thought it would be and was over very quickly (well, the waiting part was long, but the actually surgery was less than 10 minutes).
    I had immediately improved vision, although obviously blurry. After about 4 hours that stinging and sensitivity to light subsided and I could open my eyes and see comfortably. After my 24 hour check up I was declared fit to drive and could already read the 4th line down on the reading chart. After a month, I could read the 5th line down (20/20 vision, near enough).
    I used Optimax and got a huge discount for being a teacher. I paid £1995 to have both eyes done, reduced from over £3000 (it's more expensive depending on the kind of surgery you get and the prescription you are starting with).
    You can have a free, no-obligation consultation to find out if surgery is recommended for you and what sort of result you can expect. I was told that there was a possibility my right eye would only just make driving standard vision even after surgery, but in actual fact it is a lot better than that, although not perfect vision on its own (great with both eyes together). Anywhere that doesn't offer a free consulation is not worth it's salt, in my opinion.
    I would heartily recommend it to everyone. The most freeing thing I've ever done after 20+ years of wearing glasses or contact lenses.
    Good luck with your decision and/or surgery.

p.s. search for other threads on personal etc, there have been a few that all feature some good advice/info.

4. Thanks Eva, this is really helpful.

5. Used Optimax nearly 18 years ago and have not regretted it for a second.

6. I had it done 7 years ago and it´s the best thing I have done. Being able to go swimming, travelling without all the contact lens stuff etc. I was -6 in both eyes so the difference is incredible.