1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have you had any strange coincidences?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Waterfin, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Friends and I went out last night for a belated birthday meal. We then went to a local pub and sat gossiping and listening to the band.
    A couple of men came over to have a chat. The one I was chatting to asked me how old I was. I must have looked surprised at the question or something, because he said
    "I'll go first, I was 38 on Wednesday."
    "I was 38 on Wednesday!" I replied. He got out his drivers license and showed me, and true enough, we shared the same d.o.b. Later he then asked me where I was born and it transpires that we were born in the same hospital on the same day.
    Just weird.

2. Friends and I went out last night for a belated birthday meal. We then went to a local pub and sat gossiping and listening to the band.
    A couple of men came over to have a chat. The one I was chatting to asked me how old I was. I must have looked surprised at the question or something, because he said
    "I'll go first, I was 38 on Wednesday."
    "I was 38 on Wednesday!" I replied. He got out his drivers license and showed me, and true enough, we shared the same d.o.b. Later he then asked me where I was born and it transpires that we were born in the same hospital on the same day.
    Just weird.

3. When I was 16 I went interrailing with a friend- just after 'O' levels. We went wherever took our fancy- sleeping on train stations/ park benches and the occassional hostel. Somehow we ended up in Interlaken in Switzerland and were pottering about a small off-street shopping 'arcade' where we met our Music teacher from school. I have met other people in weird and coincidental circumstances, but that was the weirdest.

4. Oh, and another one- had a very small wedding and then a medium get-togther in a bar in London for friends. There were about 50 guests. I had invited my friend Charles, and my husband invited his friend Charlie- who turned out to be the same person, known through very different links.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Yet another travel story - not sure if it is coincendence as you can argue about all the times that has not happened. Still.
    1990 - went to the USA. Met someone on plane going to New York. Then met her again 3 months later - not too coincedental as on similar summer holidays.
    1991 - at Malaysia / Thai border going to bank. Met her again.
    This is the one that always sticks in my mind. On the other hand - this kind of thing hasn't happened very often.

6. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

One summer, when I was a student, I worked at a Summer Camp in the US and then spent a month travelling around the country on greyhound buses. One morning, I got on a bus and heard somebody call my name. I looked up, and there, sitting further along the bus, was a girl that I'd been in school with.

7. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Far stranger would be to go though life with no coincidences, but we wouldn't notice that and would think nothing of it.

8. In 1997, we went on holiday to Sri Lanka. We were sitting in a restaurant and on the next table were an Australian couple, who were talking about an ex-colleague of mine.

9. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Standing in a queue for the ticket office at Edinburgh Fringe met a woman who , it transpired, had left the classroom in July 1972 that I moved into in September 1972 for my first job.

10. My third week after moving to Australia, and in a little coastal town, an Australian woman approached me, and said "Did I not see you a few months ago, playing accordion on the Isle of Skye?" I was completely gobsmacked!
    I ran into someone I'd met in Brittany, at a train station in Checkoslovakia
    I ran into someone else I'd met in Brittany in the middle of Glasgow
    Even weirder... I dreamt that I married my university lecturer about ten years ago,at a time when I was already (unhappily) married... We've been together for nearly eight years now [​IMG]

11. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

I bumped into a friend of mine from sixth form in Covent Garden, he invited me to a private view he was having that evening. I went and met my husband, who was also a friend of this chap. If I hadn't bumped into him I might never have met my husband!

12. did charles never mention to either of you that he knew the other?

13. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

We were on holiday in a tiny Greek Island, not very touristy, and my husband saw a colleague from work sitting outside a taverna. He called his name, several times quite loudly. I was getting embarassed thinking my hubby had got it wrong, when my husband went over and tapped his friend on the shoulder. "Didn't you hear me calling you?" he asked. "Yes" said his friend, "but I thought no-one on this little island would know me and you must have been calling another Michael"!
    If they had talked to each other at work, they would have known they would have been likely to bump into each other!

14. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

When I gave up work to have children, a friend asked which school I worked in. It turned out her old school friend from the other side of the country was moving to take up my old job.
    Last year in the far east we got friendly with a couple on hol. We live in a tiny rural village that no one has ever heard of. When asked where we live they knew our village and asked if I knew their friend, who turned out to be my neighbour and friend.

15. When on holiday in Canada, my OH went off to check on our laundry and came back with a guy he had known at school who was staying in the same place.

When being introduced to one of OH's friend and his girlfriend for the first time, we discovered that his girlfriend and I had been born in the same hospital (over 100 miles away from where we were both living at the time) on the same day.

Whilst on holiday in France I ended up talking to a man revealed that he had three nipples - being slightly drunk and over excited I grabbed the next person who walked past and told him only for him to reply that he also had three nipples. Not only had I never met anyone with three nipples before, but neither of them had either.

16. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

On holiday last week, sitting in Palazzo Te in Mantua I heard an English voice, there weren't that many English tourists about so it caught my attention. The couple sat down next to us and I realised it was a friend from 30 years ago. Our children were the same age but we drifted apart when she went on to have a thrid and we moved away.She lives in the town we are moving back too later this month but I have only seem her once in all those years. Couldn't believe it.

17. oggiehurler

oggiehurler New commenter

That has happened to me a few times with different people.

18. oggiehurler

oggiehurler New commenter

The phone call one...

19. I took a job at an international school, turns out I am replacing a teacher from the same village, in the same country (we both left that country for different parts of the world four years ago, her husband was also my Doctor, we never knew each other though..

20. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

When Mr Belle and I first met we discovered our fathers had the same name and we both had children born on 13th. We also met on 13th.Not only that but I was teaching in the school his eldest two attended and was in the same house as they were.
    We got married (on 13th, no less) and one of the bar staff at the hotel where we married noticed my.................*ducks*...................tattoo on the base of my spine, which is my starsign in Japanese. He asked what it said and I told him. He said that was his starsign too so I asked him when his birthday was. It was the same as mine!
    On holiday in S of France this summer a young couple sat next to us in a restaurant. Hearing they were English we began a conversation. The girl came from my home town.................it also turns out I taught her and her borther in 1996-7.