1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have you got the wind?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Ivartheboneless, Dec 7, 2019.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Still nothing here (East Anglia)

2. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I used to get very nervous of windy weather when we lived on the coast as we lost our roof in the 1989 gales (probably weakened in the 1987 Great Storm and finished off two years later). I feel so much safer now we live in the London suburbs - more protected from extreme elements.

Noisy wind overnight but nothing of any significance.

3. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Does anyone get 'whistling windows'? The wind going through the Uvpc frame in the bedroom sounds like an express train. Weird. Yet, the seals aren't broken or anything.

4. ms honey

ms honey New commenter

The bird table's gone for a burton, again!

5. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Lead commenter

The wind has dropped slightly but not expected to really pick up until this afternoon and the sun has popped out as if to reassure us its still there .
    The isobars on a weather map I have been looking at show a reading of 968 in the north of Scotland to 988 just south of me . Could pack quite a punch .
    I do hope people heed the warning especially as the worst will be during the evening . I'm sure it's tempting to watch Mother Nature in her glory at full sail as it were - especially along sea fronts etc , but it does put the emergency and rescue services at risk .

6. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

It's quite calm here... (West Midlands).

Is it the proverbial calm before the storm, or did I sleep through it all last night?

7. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Really noisy overnight with rain lashing against the windows, sunny and calm this morning to start with but the winds getting up again, still sunny though which is the important thing :)

8. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

9. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

It was really windy overnight and like kids it affects cats! I had to get up at 3am to sort out a fight (cats normally get on) and they were in and out of the cat flap all night.

Less windy now and the two cats who were fighting are now asleep together - gi*s!!!

bombaysapphire likes this.
  10. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Very wind here, NW, for a few days now. I had to rescue the wheelie bin more than once. This morning there was a loud bang , I think it is the bin again!
    I don't plan on leaving the house today, wind and rain tells me it is a day for a dvd or a good book.

11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Starting to get windier and colder here at last - been a lovely day up until then.

12. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Lead commenter

We've had some fun and games weather wise in the South West . Power out in Oakehampton and thunder and lightening in Newton Abbot .
    Okay where I am but the wind is definitely picking up and sustaining its power.

13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

It will last throughout the night down your way.

14. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Lead commenter

Yes we've been weather warned by the met office and told to rescue anything outside that is loose . I'm expecting a few items from the next door neighbour to land in the garden .
    I'm also hoping that people take heed and don't travel unnecessarily.

15. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Lead commenter

It hasn't disappointed us put it that way and it's still raging away. Feel sorry for those hit by power cuts and thunderstorms and fixing power supplies in this weather must be awful.

16. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Senior commenter

It’s been horrendous down here on the SW coast.
    I warned Himself to check that his motorbike covers were secure. One of them must be miles away by now. I must - repeat MUST - refrain from wearing my ‘I told you so’ facial expression when I wake him up in a few minutes. :mad:

Norsemaid likes this.
  17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We got off pretty lightly here in the East - but we may get some wind later today.