1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have you got charity appeal fatigue yet?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lascarina, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Every day without fail at least one begging letter comes though my letter box. Last month I counted 37. And it's amazing how many of them enclose some pointless gift like a pen or a twopence piece, a set of personalised address labels, gift tags, or cards painted by people with no hands and feet. I am sick of it. What about you?

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

No. I don't get much of that.

But if I could get hold of those responsible for Comic Relief/Children In Need then I'd shove their bleedin' TV trails down their soddin' throats.

3. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

At least you can put junk mail in the bin I get really annoyed when they ring me up.

4. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Have you not registered with the telephone preference service, Inky? What make me furious is that one of the charities I have sent a donation must be selling on their list of names to other charities.

5. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I did once but I think that must have expired. I am also plagued by the PPI people who don't even bother to speak half the time when I answer the phone.

6. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

Did you donate at any time in the past? If you did, they'll have sold your details on to other charities.
    If charities can afford all this advertising, mailings and an army of paid chuggers, then they don't need my donationdonation, as far as I am concerned. I'm sick of the clothes bags they keep putting through the door too. I get dozens if these things in a year. I mea, how much stuff do they think we've got to throw out? And they expect you to take the trouble to leave the unused bags in a prominent place for collection. I didn't ask for these bags any more than I asked several credit card companies to send me an application form month after month after month. Details have obviously been passed on. I suggest putting some other junk mail in the paid envelope and sending it off. With the credit card companies, you could wrap up a large brick, stick the postage paid envelope on it and send it off to them. Petty, but satisfying!

Lascarina likes this.
  7. pair_of_argyles

pair_of_argyles Occasional commenter

My friend has early onset dementia . On the phone his condition is very evident as he is now, sadly, almost incoherent. However, this does not stop the charities continuing to call - despite TPS, despite direct calls to the executives of the main culprits. It is only a special "stop" on his bank account which has prevented him setting up of at least dozen charity Direct Debits in the past year.

The sector is full of shysters and charlatans and the scent of Christmas really brings them slithering out from under their stones.

8. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

felltogroundinberkeleysquare Established commenter

Personally, I am not looking forward to Pudsey next week. I think we can all work out which charities we want to give to, one of mine is BLISS, but I don't want over saturation on the telly.

9. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

No. I think a lot of people prefer over saturation in the comfort of their own homes!

10. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I gave money to a disaster fund and very shortly afterwards, was plagued by phone calls asking for more pledges, which I refused. The way to pledge was by text, which cost me £1.50 on top of he amount I gave.

I contribute monthly, to a local charity. There was a letter this week asking for more, with a form to fill in. It went in the bin. It's precisely why I cancelled my direct debit to the NSPCC a few years ago, because they plagued me constantly asking for more.

11. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

I know. It's been overdone. It's like those ribbon things in the shape of a sort of ankh. There are so many now, for so many things, you don't even notice them anymore, let alone care about what they represent.

12. Nuuk

Nuuk Occasional commenter

Slightly off topic, but taking my young grandchildren to school several times a week has made me realise how expensive free state education can be. I know parents can say no but it is difficult when you have 2 very enthusiastic K S 1 children. From what I can remember this term so far (and I am guessing there must be more as I don't take them every day):

PTA £25 per child
    School photos
    Harvest donation
    Cake sale for school funds
    `Working with real money - children to take in variety of loose change to use in Maths, then donated
    Mufti Day £1
    Shoe box Christmas appeal
    Childrens Christmas cards made in school and printed
    Mufti Day donation for Christmas fete
    Items for school fete
    Appeal for local child with life threatening illness
    Poppy appeal

and we are only in the second week of the second half term!

13. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I have given regularly to the Sally Army for years but recently got a letter asking if I would let them know if I was making a bequest to them in my will, and that annoyed me intensely.

14. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I have a set of tickets to attach to my donations (clothes/etc)) to Oxfam so that they can claim back the tax. Just after the earthquake in Nepal last year I happened to take in a bag to the shop. I used to teach Nepalese teenagers and they were delightful so I was happy to 'do my bit' for the affected families. A couple of weeks later I had a 'phone call from an earnest young man who. basically, was asking me to make a regular donation. I explained that I would not make a regular, direct debit donation because I was not prepared to have them phone me every 5 minutes to increase my donation. He seemed bemused that I thought this would happen!!

I do give to charities but I decide which and how much. At present I have an envelope to post for the International Red Cross as I used to be a member, as were my parents, and I have an affinity to them. I usually give to the sally annes brass bands at Christmas as without them, I wouldn't be here as a member saved my dad's life during the war.

There are so many worthy causes but the constant 'phoning etc can't be cost effective can it?

15. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Yes @Dragonlady30, mine was the Nepalese earthquake pestering too. They must have hides like a rhinoceros to keep doggedly phoning people day after day. Puts me right off though!