1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have you gone back to work after taking ARB? Please help!

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by razziegyp, Jun 28, 2011.

1. TPS and my LA are totally at odds about this! 60th Birthday in May. TPS says, no problem, retire before you are 60, take ARB, take a one day break in service (which would amount actually to the 2 week Easter holidays), get your school to re-employ you on a temporary contract to finish the year out and voila.... everybody's happy!
    My LA are saying NO NO NO! Not allowed, people who retire should not be re-employed and if any school does this they are falling foul of numerous regs (to do with hiring and firing, contracts, insurance etc) and they will forever burn in hell.*
    All I want to know is......
    WHO'S RIGHT??????????????????????????

*Naturally my head is sh***ing himself at the prospect of eternal damnation......

2. I retired in March 2011 and had one day off and returned to work full time for the rest of the year. Have since been paid my full wage and my pension with no reduction. You would only lose money if you took normal retirement on or after your 60th birthday. Not sure if you can take the break in service in the holidays though. I also had the LA ring me up and tell me it wasn't allowed and you had to go at the end of a term and I suspect it makes their salary calculations for that month a little more difficult. (two payslips and obviously difficult to compute) I would be careful about having the break in service during the Easter break as they may deduct two weeks wages. I took the Friday and lost three days wages. It's perfectly possible and the TPS is correct.

3. Thank you so much FrankoFile...will show this to my headteacher.

4. Lucky you! I retired because I could not find any work. Now that i am retired, I still canot find any work!