1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have you ever?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by randomgirly, May 26, 2011.

1. I have but because my surname is quite common you just get loads of rubbish.
    My nan has done a lot of research into the family tree and found some really interesting stuff out about her side of the family.
    I have just brought her a computer progam to help layout all the information, although my sister is going to have to spend a long time with her explaining how to use it :/

2. I would love to do that. It must have been so interesting to find a stranger who ressembles someone in your family or even you.
    However my paternal grandfather confessed just before he died that he had been born to a single mum. She had subsequently married and my grandfather had taken that man's name, without being adopted. This came as a complete shock to my grandmother and there was no-one left alive to ask about it. Since then I have felt that I have no way of getting anywhere on that side of the family.
    All this happened a few months after my son was born. I had proudly given him what I thought was my family name as his middle name. That said it is a name commonly used as a first name, so it does not really matter.

3. I was born and brought up in South Africa and moved here ten tears ago. My parents joined me when I had a baby and my dad had to get a visa for which he had to produce his parents' birth certificates. He knew his dad was born in England but not much else. Turns out my grandmother was Jewish and from Russia. She fled during the persecution in the 20's and renounced her faith fleeing to South Africa where she met a young English soldier. I obviously had no idea I had Jewish heritage and yet, strangely, have always been interested in Judaism. My first boyfriend was Jewish and I chose to study it at University!

4. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

My granny was Irish, and I do like potatoes.

5. Haha :) Well it was interesting to me anyway. Not necessarily a link I grant you.

6. Googling doesn't given much about my family.
    But as I already know that my birthdad spent time in prison....my mum was in the Hitler Youth....my grandad was in the Waffen SS....my brother went to school with Gadaffi (not just attended the same school - an official car picked my brother up and they travelled together)...
    I'm slightly concerned that if this is the 'common knowledge' in my family - maybe I want any skeletons to remain firmly locked in the closet!
    There are nicer elements to my family history too....honest!

7. My family name comes from a royal French family name. A lot of them fled to Ireland during one of the revolutions. Some sheep rustlers adopted the name when changing their identity, and the name has become more common in Scotland/Ireland. I was telling this story in an Australian pub one night, and concluded with..... "So, I've never known if I'm descended from the French Royalty, or the Irish sheep rustlers....." One of my friends looked at me (with my pint of Guinness in one hand and my roll-up cigarette in the other) and said....."Eh...... I don't think it was the royalty!"

8. My Grandmother was Cornish. Spooky that I love clotted cream, pasties and hogs pudding.[​IMG]

9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I found online that there's a terraced street in Brum that bears my (uncommon) surname, very close to where my Great Great (or Great Great Great) Grandmother ran a shop for many years. I've often wondered if the street names were chosen within the local community and it was some sort of tribute or memorial to her.

10. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

why dont you write to the council a nd ask surfy!
    my name is so common ive even found people living around the corner in my area.and a lot more localy.and not just the surname but also the first name!...........so there is no special name one lol