1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have you ever wondered what inspired your parents to give you the name you have?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

It's not uncommon on TES to find teachers mocking the names of the children they teach. Chardonnay is a popular one, for example, but can you be sure that if a website like this existed when you were a kid, your teachers wouldn't have been sneering at the name you were given?

What do you imagine inspires a name? How difficult are they to live with?

2. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I've never liked my name. I always had to spell it at school and it's almost inevitable these days that people will spell the end wrongly.

I have no idea what persuaded my parents it would be a good choice. It was extremely unusual then I think. The only ( and it IS the only) advantage, is that it isn't of it's era, so I am not defined as a child of the 60's, 70's, 80's etc.

3. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Mine is a 1950's name, not at all an inspired choice and very common, at the time. It caused no raised eyebrows at registration. My name has gone the way of all the Margarets, Patricias, Janets and Joans. I can't see them coming back.

4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

My teachers never sneered at a name that i an aware of .unless it was being sarcastic about some misbehavior i was up to.

However, my mother wanted a name which couldn't be shortened and my middle name is to remind me of my father. so no, i never had a problem or is it timed to an era.

5. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I was expected to be a boy so my parents only had Timothy picked out. When that turned out to be unsuitable my Mum plumped for one of the most common names from the Times Hatched Matched and Despatched. It is too long and I use a slightly more unusual abbreviation. I wish that abbreviation was my real name.

6. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

I do not like my name. My mum wanted names that could not be shortened until she had her third child - who got two names and four syllables.

I only have one syllable. My name sounds like I am clearing my throat. It is the wrong name for me.

7. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I was named after both grandmothers so got Helen Margaret. My father also managed to give the Initials HMS (so I got Her majesty's ship as a nickname at school!)

I went through life in fear of people realising that Nellie was the "pet"/short form of Helen. I kept that soooooooo quiet! Though one of the ex's friends did immediately greet me with it when we first met (never did care for him)

If I had been a boy I was going to be again named after grandparents only.... Herbert Matthew.... I mean how could anyone call a child HERBERT? I had a very narrow escape really. (my first cousin did have the 3rd Christian name of Herbert and his step father called him Bert.

I made sure that the names I gave my children (Katharine and Jennifer) could not be changed to anything I didn't like and I wish they were more grateful !

8. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Always hated my first name - but find the full version acceptable - I will correct them if it is shortened. My initals actually spell out that shortened name, which is always commented on because of course, I'm not aware of it - thanks, Mom!

For my son, his first name is Finn and his middle name is that of his late grandfather, Matthew - we wanted him to have his own identity but also honour my FIL.

9. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

My poor father was saddled with the name Herbert -aka Bert. Going through the census returns dating back to 1841, I can see it was the family tradition to name the first born son either Joseph or Herbert, alternating with each generation. My father was due to be called Joseph, but his dad (Herbert) loathed his father (Joseph) who was a very violent man, known throughout the town for his drunkenness and clog fighting. He refused to name his son after this vile man, so my dad ended up being named after his father. If you get my drift. Had I been a boy, I would have been Howard, thereby breaking the tradition.

10. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

I don't mind my name at all. It is my great-grandmothers name on my father's side, and the name my maternal grandmother was known by, and from my parents perspective, it fit the requirement that it can't be shortened. It's common enough to not raise eyebrows or need to provide the spelling, but not so common that I needed to use my surname initial to differentiate myself from the others in my class at school (unlike my two best friends Rebecca G and Rebecca C).

I tried to name my children with the same aim of giving them timeless, normal, but not common, names. It worked with my sons, who both have biblical names (my youngest son shares a name with probably the most famous youngest son in the bible, and my eldest shares a name with famous son's father).

Unfortunately, those rules went out the window with my daughter, who has what is arguably a made up name. It's a very unusual variant of a common name that's quite fashionable at the moment. I often have to spell it (it only differs from the common version through the addition of one letter) and a lot of people ask me to repeat it because they presume they've just misheard me say one of the more common versions. I get a lot of compliments on how pretty it is though, and I still love it. Plus, it really suits her.

Oddly enough, when I took her for her first day of Reception last week, her teacher's niece has the same name as my daughter - I'm obviously a bit of a trend setter!

11. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

My first name was so popular when I was born I was one of 7 with the name in my year, 6 of whom were in my class. I still assume people mean to speak to someone else when I am called.

My middle name comes from a 1920s book called The Tale of Mr Tootleloo, and I am called after a cockyolly chick in it. It is unusual enough for people to just say say "what?" when they hear it, not even be sure if they like it or not.

The names were to be the other way round but my dad took one look at me and switched them. I was very grateful when younger, but have now come around to vaguely liking my middle name.

12. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I think you're wrong there, Dun. I'd wager on it coming back into fashion (along with those other names you list) before you know it.

I don't mind my name. It was popular in the late 50s, when I arrived, but is a name with a long history, so continues to be used today - although less common than was the case. My mum had her way. Had my dad had his way I'd have had a rather old-fashioned Irish name. I'm glad my mum won.

I named my two daughters after strong female rulers of the middle ages. I do like a name with a bit of history attached.

My father had eight brothers and sisters. One of his brothers copped for the unfortunate name of Horace, but he calls himself Dave.

13. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

My mother thought that my name was a little unusual at the time, but there are actually many of us around. We're all within just a few years of each other in age.

What bugs me is that there are 2 variations in spelling and pronunciation. I have the most common spelling with the less common pronunciation. I will answer to both versions, but the wrong spelling annoys me.

14. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I was the only girl with my first name at my large junior school and the only one in my year of more than 300 at comprehensive school. It's not a wildly unusual name at all, but was not common amongst working class girls born in the late 50s.

15. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

My family has a tradition of christening eldest sons in each generation with my name as either a first or second name. It goes back to at least the start of the 19th century and possibly beyond. I'm OK with that - the name's not anachronistic and I like the sense of continuity.

16. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

My name is unusual and difficult to spell, it's also very long and usually shortened. Unfortunately there are several shortened versions and people always pick the wrong one! I don't have a middle name so I'm pretty much stuck with it! My mother chose it as she thought it was different, I was the only girl in my primary and secondary school with it so she was right on that score!

17. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

My name is not really uncommon but I don't know anyone else with it. It has three syllables and my married name has three as well and they go well together. My maiden name was not an attractive name and although i had a pang as I gave it up, i do really like the combination i have now. i loved choosing names for my boys. They are not uncommon but i think they sound wonderful. My father told me who i was named for a few weeks before he died. I had never known before.

18. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

I was named after my paternal grandfather. Being a name at least a generation out of fashion by the time I was given it in the mid Fifties, I didn't come across a like-named contemporary until I went to Uni. At school, I was called after the eponymous character in the Beano.

19. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Biffo the Bear?

20. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I have always known who I was named after and it was a rather unusual spelling. Unfortunately in the 'excitement' of registering the birth at the registrars, my father forgot the spelling and the registrar spelt it incorrectly. My father realised straight away it was 'wrong' but the registrar refused to change it.