1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have you ever paid for it?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Johnny_Bluenote, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Johnny_Bluenote

Johnny_Bluenote Occasional commenter

Well, I certainly haven't and I don't see why anyone should. In any staffroom up and down the country you will always find one or two going spare. Bit tatty round the edges perhaps, but still serviceable.

No, I have never paid for The Times Educational Supplement and don't suppose I ever will.

Ha! Ha! Ha! Had you fooled for a moment there. It's the way I tell 'em

2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I had a year's subscription for free back in 1999 after winning a competition with my free Union subscription whilst training. I then proceeded to win the TES crossword many times, getting about 6 pairs of cinema tickets and several good fountain pens.
    I felt duty bound to pay for a few copies after the free subscription lapsed but then took advantage of one of the copies languishing in staff rooms around Lancashire.

3. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Smut. Pure smut!

4. Johnny_Bluenote

Smut. Pure smut!

Really!

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

We have a cut price subscription. I don't read any of it but Mrs MSB dips into it.

The magazine makes excellent packing paper for eBay parcels, so I put it to good use after she's finished with it.

kibosh likes this.
  6. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

37 years of servitude.

7. Johnny_Bluenote

What exactly are you talking about Racroesus?

8. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I had a subscription for many years
    Many places I worked in did not

9. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

never understood the big and made up words like "pedagogic".

10. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I don't think it is TES.

11. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I used to like the nice supplements they did.or was that child education...if so what happened to that magazine?

12. Findlotte

Findlotte Established commenter

My partner buys it, I read it and sometimes borrow one for my staff room. They still have no idea where they're coming from :D

13. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

It was TES @oldsomeman. I still have a collection of the supplements and glossy posters, which have proved really useful over the years.

14. Johnny_Bluenote

Isn't this uncanny? Snowyhead you - or your avatar I guess - look exactly like how I imagine Middlemarch our prominent contributor here.

15. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I bought it when I first started teacher training; I had a subscription so it would turn up every Friday. It was my Saturday morning relaxation with breakfast and the paper. Then they changed it to a magazine and it didn't have the same feel. I cancelled my subscription. It was more the feel of reading a newspaper (I was in my 20s and it made me feel grown up!) than the content. A magazine is not the same at all.

16. oldsomeman

I am in the process of throwing out a lot of my resources and i came across the supplements..but they still go in the bin as my teaching days are over.i think.They wont want me at 70 lol
    I dreading getting ride of my teaching resource books but they are now out of date with the new curriculum.although I did find some of my old topic web stuff the other day.....dated in to the 1970's lol

17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

A long time ago I regularly bought the TES and read it on the train home from school. Then I used to read it when my daughter went on swimming lessons on Saturday morning.

But then as others have said, the format changed and the things I used to enjoy reading disappeared.

I haven't bought one since and I don't even look at the one in the staffroom anymore I'm sad to say.

18. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

AFAICR, there was always at least one copy of the TES kicking around in most the staff rooms of the schools in which I've worked but not in the last five years, or so.

19. oldsomeman

they used to have the paper but the head used to take the job section away.stop us looking I assume.There are still some staff-rooms with copies for the teachers to read.

20. Johnny_Bluenote