1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have you ever not got a job you already in the school for?/Got a job over a person who already works in the school?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by rebeccafound, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Hi
    Anyone out there got a job knowing an inside candidate was being interviewed also? Or not got 'your ' job as another candidate has got it from outside the school????

2. In a school i was working in the long term supply was not given the job when it was advertised as permanent. She was gutted. School claimed it had to be based on how they performed on the day, never mind the countless times she had proven herself beforehand. Some schools just follow the rules by the book.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Just had another thread on more or less the same subject!
    Sometimes internals get it, sometimes they don't. Read this thread, the fact that there is an internal
    (a) should not put you off applying
    (b) should not make you disgruntled if they get the job, and go round mumbling to yourself "It;s unfair". The internal might just have been better than you . . .
    I do not myself have experience of internals being given preference. I have had more occasions when the internal hasn't got it than when they have.
    Is there any point going to interview if there is an internal candidate?
    Best wishes.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com

4. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

I got my last post over an internal applicant. It happens more frequently than people think, especially when they want 'new blood' in a school or a department.
    I've never had an internal promotion because those opportunities just haven't arisen but I think if they did I'd find it hard; I'd be thinking "you KNOW I am tearing my hair out with year 11 / left my memory stick at home once and had to wing it / any of the other daft stuff we all do (I hope!) on a daily basis."
    x