1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have you ever made a pilgrimage to the grave of someone you greatly admired?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Wanda_the_Wonder, May 25, 2020.

1. Wanda_the_Wonder

Wanda_the_Wonder Occasional commenter

In June 2011 travelled to the village of Slad (it's not really a village more, a hillside) in the Cotswolds to visit the grave of Laurie Lee. It was really worthwhile. He is buried in the Slad church graveyard. There is a stained glass window in the church depicting the violin he used to play as a busker.

In the local pub, the Woolpack, I met other pilgrims and we shared stories about how we came to love the writings of Laurie Lee.

Lalad and Lidnod like this.
  2. WB

WB Lead commenter

Not really a pilgrimage, but as I was passing I stopped to visit the grave of Barnes Wallace. He was the engineer/inventor who invented the bouncing bomb of dam busters fame.

The film romanticises the whole episode I'm sure but he is a man worth remembering. Somebody once asked him how he would like to be remembered and he said "As a good husband and a good father". I can respect that.

nomad likes this.
  3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Not the grave - but I sometimes go to Grantchester Meadows in Cambridge in memory of Syd Barrett.

When I was in Hollywood I spent ages looking for my hero Clint Eastwood's star on Hollywood Boulevard - could I find it ? - No - but did I did find Steve McQeeen's - a good substitute.

monicabilongame, Kandahar and nomad like this.
  4. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

I've been to visit the graves/memorials of some relatives killed in the First World War.

5. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

I frequent graveyards. The older the better. As a very young man I was stood in the porch of a Norman church when a piercing tone overcame my senses. Minutes later I found myself looking over a lead tomb with odd inscriptions.

6. Lidnod

Lidnod Lead commenter

Many literary pilgrimages, including Jane Austen in Winchester Cathedral. Chawton is an excellent visit. Shakespeare’s grave at Stratford on Avon, of course, and all those buried in Poet’s Corner at Westminster Abbey.

The one I missed: Lawrence Sterne as, sadly, Shandy Hall was closed when we passed.

I learned later from the Lawrence Sterne Trust website: Laurence Sterne died in 1768, and was buried three times.Once in the graveyard of St George’s, Hanover Square; secondly when he was recognized after having been disinterred for anatomists, and finally, when development took place on the London burial ground, his skull and a femur were taken to Coxwold and buried outside the church where he used to preach.

7. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Star commenter

I went to Pere Lachaise to visit Oscar Wilde's grave. Not a pilgrimage as such, as I was in Paris anyway. Pere Lachaise is fascinating and well worth a visit.

hplovegame48 and artboyusa like this.
  8. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I often go to the Ascension Parish Burial Ground off Huntingdon Road in Cambridge to see the graves of all my mathematical and philosophical heroes.

I go to Scarborough to see Anne Bronte's grave.

When I go home to Lancashire I visit the graveyard behind the primary school I sometimes attended to look to see who from the village has passed on since I was last there.

A lot of the really nasty people who made my childhood a misery are now dead. Some died youngish. It's great.

I no longer bother going to Powderhouse Lane in Lancaster to see the plot where my grandmother's ashes are buried because it turned out it was the wrong plot that my parents had been visiting for twenty-odd years. I once asked them if finding out that the plot was incorrect had detracted from their grief, but they didn't know what I was talking about.

This was my father all over. He just decided a grave was "somewhere over there" and as he couldn't afford to mark a grave, he just picked some random spot from memory.

I was once married to a woman a long, long time ago. She remarried, died and, years later her husband had a massive stroke. He'd kept her ashes. There was a flood at the unoccupied house while he was in hospital recovering from the stroke. The hot water tank burst and flooded through the ceiling destroying most of his belongings. Everything, including my ex wife's ashes ended up in a skip. How I laughed. She was pure evil so it was a fitting end.

9. blazer

blazer Star commenter

In 2017 we took a detour from route 66 to visit Lubbock, Texas and the grave of Buddy Holly (Holley). Very understated, just a small stone slab lay flat on the ground.
    [​IMG]

Also some years ago on a holiday in Monaco we went to Menton and searched for and found the grave of William Webb-Ellis. There was some beautification of the graveyard underway as France were due to be holding the Rugby World cup soon after and I daresay they were expecting more visitors.
    [​IMG]

I once searched for the grave of Joseph Lucas as I was disputing a historian who claimed he was buried in one churchyard but I believed he was in another. His grave was no longer marked but an obliging verger allowed me to go through the parish records and I found I was right, he was in that churchyard somewhere but no-one knew where. The verger reckoned his marker must be somewhere as the graveyard had been cleared at sometime in the past and all the stones moved elsewhere.
    A google search has revealed this
    [​IMG]
    He died in Naples of Cholera. He was on a promotional tour to sell Lucas products. he was advised to drink wine in the city as the water was unsafe. However as a lifelong teetotaler he couldn't bring himself to do it, caught the disease and died. The story went that they emptied the huge chest of samples he was travelling with, put him in it and shipped him back to Birmingham!

BetterNow likes this.
  10. Wanda_the_Wonder

I must say that the setting of Laurie Lee's grave in Slad graveyard is wonderful.

His epitaph reads:

'He lies in the valley he loved' 27935019528_0d1177db44_b.jpg

11. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

No, never. Have happened upon a few by chance e.g. Rupert Brooke. If I'm in the area, I visit my parents' grave and tidy it up and refresh the flowers because that is what they would have liked, though seeing as it's 220 miles away, my brother or cousin has usually got there first.

nomad likes this.
  12. Wanda_the_Wonder

One day I will visit the grave of John Keats in Italy.

HERE LIES ONE WHOSE NAME WAS WRIT IN WATER

JK-grave.png

13. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Never made a effort to visit any famous grave. If I happened to be in the area then sometimes. I do like walking around grave yard and looking at the stones.

nomad likes this.
  14. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

When we were in Buenas Aires, we went to see the grave of Eva Peron.

[​IMG]

ilovesooty and lunarita like this.
  15. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I've been to St Michael's Churchyard at Stinsford Dorset to visit the grave of Thomas Hardy's heart and the body of the cat that ate some of it.

The rest of his body was burnt and his ashes are in Poets Corner. Westminster Abbey.

ilovesooty likes this.
  16. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

I enjoy cemeteries anyway, especially French ones, but I've made special efforts to visit the graves of Théophile Gautier (1811-72), one of my fave authors and Chaim Soutine (1894-1943), my fave 20th c painter

17. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

friedgreentomatoes likes this.
  18. lunarita

lunarita Senior commenter

19. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I have never made a conscious effort to visit a grave, other than to those of my parents.

I did once find myself outside Highgate Cemetery and thought I might do in to see the piano tomb of Harry Thornton. It is quite impressive, compared to the aesthetically monstrous Karl Marx's tomb.

20. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Star commenter

artboyusa likes this.