1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have you ever left before the end of a contract?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by MsHavisham, Oct 17, 2018.

1. MsHavisham

MsHavisham New commenter

I work in primary supply and have been given a 12 week contract. However there are several issues that I am not happy with - I am told that they are the worst class in the school but am given no support with the behaviour issues. I have been abused by a parent, but it is brushed under the carpet. I really don't want to stay but feel it won't look good if I leave. I am already registered with other agencies but not sure whether I will appear to be unreliable.

Any advice/comments?

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  2. sam9486

sam9486 New commenter

Hi,

If you are not happy with your work then I recommend you leave. There is no point working at a place where you are not happy. It will not make you seem unreliable because you are being abused by parents and having behavior issues in the lesson which you are not able to deal with.

Anyone who is getting abused should not stay where they are. So I recommend you hand in your notice and leave.

3. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

What type of contract is it?

Is it one where you are employed by the school and get the same pay/holiday entitlement/pension etc as other teachers there who are employed by the school. The agency made the introduction between you and the school and took a fee. In which case you cannot leaver early or risk being subject to legal action from the school for being in breech of contract.

Or are you still an employee of the agency getting agency rate pay and no holiday/sick pay. In which case you don't have a real contract with the school only an "understanding" that the post could last 12 weeks, This means you can terminate this "understanding" at any time and walk away.

Normally it would be professional to agree to a short period of notice (a week or so) to give the school time to find someone else, and provide some handover notes for your replacement. However if as in this case the school are not taking the abuse seriously they have no idea of what "professional" means so don't worry too much about that.

4. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Other agencies will only care (or even notice) about how good it looks when they are trying to negotiate down your salary. Otherwise they are fine with a \reference' that says you worked on these dates and there are no safeguarding concerns.

Work should be picking up now so agencies will be more desperate to have you working for them. This applies equally to the agency that you're disappointing. They'll still tout you around schools as the best thing since sliced bread.

gingerhobo48 and pepper5 like this.
  5. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

If you are not happy, then leave. Give a couple of days notice if you wish. but you are not indispensable and the Agency will have someone else in there the following day.

6. Cooperuk

Cooperuk Senior commenter

Contact the agency...ask them to find you something else.

They'd rather that than you leave and work for another agency.

7. a1976

a1976 Established commenter

Well, this just answered my question Cooperuk. Thanks.

Cooperuk and agathamorse like this.