1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have you ever in your lifetime known a bigger political fiasco than Brexit?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Dec 10, 2018.

?

Have you ever in your lifetime known a bigger political fiasco than Brexit?

1. Yes, it's nothing unusual

3.2%
  2. Never. Surely we don't pay these idiots?

96.8%
  1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

With the eleventh hour almost upon us, was Brexit inevitably going to turn out the way it has, or are we where we are through incompetence?

Nanook_rubs_it likes this.
  2. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Sheer incompetence from the first suggestion of it by Cameron. There should be consequences for the idiots who misled and lied. (I know it was not Cameron's idea. It should have been quashed. Other "suggestions" and calls for action have been ignored.) It should have been investigated before anything went to a ballot with proper choices given. Just the hint of Russian and right wing interference to skew the vote should have been enough to declare the whole thing null and void.

3. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Nope.

catmother likes this.
  4. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Driving me mad. Everything is now linked to it. Selling a house, oh Brexit will affect the price........how? Can understand people may be put off buying in case their job is affected but honestly if you are looking to move house then you will.

5. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

Even the Speaker is condemning today's fiasco.

towncryer likes this.
  6. nixmith

nixmith Established commenter

Is that the so-called impartial speaker who parked a car at the Houses of Parliament with a 'Billhooks to Brexit' sticker on it? The speaker who was as recently as October, facing calls to quit due to HoC bullying - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45874284 - but that seems to have gone away because the powers that be probably think he is the best person in that position, until after the 29th March - they might have seen his car sticker!

This is a total stitch-up and has been from day one.

They are not going to allow Brexit to happen.

They are going to run the clock down and when we get to within days/hours of 29/3/19 it will be called off. The EU are complicit in this with their timing of the 'clarification' today, that we can unilaterally cancel article 50.

This is not the biggest political fiasco in my lifetime, quite the opposite, it is genius politics disguised as incompetence with one final aim: the cancellation of Brexit.

T34 and Sir_Henry like this.
  7. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Nice conspiracy theory. Are the political numpties really smart enough to do that? And what a waste of money (no change there though).

8. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

**screen splutter**

towncryer likes this.
  9. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I am loving every second of it. Whether you voted remain or leave it is a brilliant education into the beyond cynical world of politics.

Brexit has reminded us that our MPs rarely, if ever represent the people - and that is why it is such a mess.

An arrogant parliament voted for a referendum solely to kick UKIP into touch and get a mandate to stop talks of leaving the EU well, forever...and it went pear shaped.

We have a people wanting out of the EU yet a parliament almost universal in wanting us in the EU.

And I will always maintain the ONLY reason we are not remaining in the EU is fear of 'Trump' coming to the UK.

It is all brilliant.

Sir_Henry likes this.
  10. Geoff Thomas

That is a proposal that should be tested.

11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Strong and Stable government - I think not

towncryer likes this.
  12. Geoff Thomas

Why is it that the "people" are not competent to change their minds, but the "leader" can do so on a regular basis?

13. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

"Omni-shambles" is a word invented by Armando Ianucci for "The Thick of It". How prescient the word seems - invented just for days like today.

towncryer and emerald52 like this.
  14. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Margaret Beckett is quoted in the Guardian (Bercow was getting accusations of maltreatment of women made against him)

Beckett later said that some Labour MPs believed they had to prioritise keeping Bercow because he had been fairer to backbenchers in crucial Brexit legislation.

“Yes, if it comes to it, the constitutional future of this country, the most difficult decision we’ve made for hundreds of years, yes, it trumps bad behaviour,” she told the BBC.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...s-commons-speaker-in-wake-of-bullying-inquiry

Emile Thornberry also upset Corbyn for pretty much saying the same (namely it does not matter Bercow is accused of dubious behaviour, remainers need him to help destroy Brexit)

https://www.politicshome.com/news/u...eremy-corbyn-slaps-down-emily-thornberry-over

I seem to remember Thornberry running into trouble about this on Question Time, too.

Sir_Henry and nixmith like this.
  15. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The ONLY sensible option now is to cancel BREXIT

16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

So what's the "plan" then - delay a vote until the end of march so it's this or no deal ?

That cannot be allowed to happen.

towncryer likes this.
  17. nixmith

nixmith Established commenter

Yes, I think so..... and I agree about the money thing too, but like you say no change there:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28840966

for example.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  18. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

It really is impossible to tell with May. She always speaks like a Brexiter and someone who respects the vote but then comes up with remain deals everywhere. My guess is she and the EU will leak details of their talks and she will gauge reactions to what she will call 'unfounded rumours'.

If there is movement she likes, she will call the vote.

But yes, she is pushing it close to the day everyone has to say 'no more, you are out'.

towncryer likes this.
  19. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Yep - that's the plan - BREXIT at any cost.

towncryer and irs1054 like this.
  20. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

The way the PM is talking in Parliament suggests she is quite prepared to see a no-deal rather than a referendum.

This is crazy, Parliament needs to re-assert itself.

towncryer likes this.