1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have you ever had your partner telling you to finish your work at school?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by jomaimai, Jan 24, 2016.

1. jomaimai

jomaimai Established commenter

Yesterday, Mr. Jomaimai did and I was furious, sad, ... We have been living together for a long time, how could he?
    To the non-teacher people, we choose to work at home. How sad. Wait a minute, perhaps they are right?
    Any experiences or thoughts?

2. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Mrs Oldy often nagged me for working after school and neglecting her and the children.Its actually unfair on yur family.even more so in the pressure system of today..my experience was some 35 years ago in the days of the 'old teaching' system.As H of D i worked hard in and out of school and so brought lots of making home if i didn't have time in school...in those days planning and delivering were considered more important than assessment and marking.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Well of course they are right

BUT... we [teachers] have accepted for so long the 'logic' that we should bring work home with us. Now sure, lots of other jobs 'bring work home' but not on such an institutionalised level. My father got paid 6 figures and he rarely brought work home [and when he did it was his choice to]... my wife is upstairs right now studying for accountancy exams ... of her choosing.

But marking and the work scrutinies that drive them, that seems to be expected of teachers... that we bring it home.

Now if IF there was to be a profession wide boycott of bring work home, just getting it done in work... that'd be interesting.

But won't happen.

4. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

At the end of term, MrDt would often say 'I get my wife back, now.' Most evenings would be taken up with lesson prep or marking and I would be lost in thought about things that had gone on in school. I suppose I could have stayed at work until 5pm each day to get it done, but it was my choice and a habit I never broke in over 30 years.

5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Should log on a and off at work and anything else be overtime.Would stop a lot of the rubbish in its tracks.After all we are not treated as a profession and the rules and conditions are used to our disadvantage when they are applied.

Lara mfl 05 and Dragonlady30 like this.
  6. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

I had a rant at Dear Alfred last week for doing so much work at home. It is a busy time for him (stock-take; year end) but enough is enough. He gets in at 6.30, eats dinner and then works until 10. Ridiculous. He's knackered. But his response, as ever, is "This isn't the Public Sector. If the work doesn't get done, I don't go off with stress for six months, I get sacked."
    Join a union, dear.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I used to do just this and try not to take any work home at all if possible.

I was thinking about the whole taking work home as normal idea. A teacher's year was never consistent, at some times there were tests and exams to be marked and reports to be written etc. We accepted this as normal and at particular points in the year would mean more hours after school, either in school or at home to get it all done.

Those in charge seem to have taken this accepted staccato work pattern and turned it into an expectation of a continuous hum of activity. Time after school spent in more and more pointless meetings or training sessions to tick boxes means less time available in school for marking. Those intense exam/test/report times have been pushed to become the required work level at all times through the year without evaluating or acknowledging whether it makes any actual difference.

Schools used to work pretty much as teams with different people having different strengths and hence different annual work busy-times, also based partly on subjects taught. These days however everyone has to be seen to do something at all times, lots of busy-work going on which saps energy and enthusiasm.

As a very experienced teacher who knew my subject better than anyone in my department I didn't need to spend so much time preparing, I was always busy in lessons walking round, giving feedback, chatting to pupils about their work. This meant I spent time arranging outside speakers and events to come into school to enrich and extend the curriculum, and subject specific trips out something no-one else did. The last year I taught I didn't do any of this as partly I had no time any more to do it with all the pointless busy-work, but also because many of my colleagues resented the disruption to their t/t, English and maths in particular would never agree to losing any lessons and of course it just didn't matter any more as no-one was measured on it.

Baby, soap and rubber duck all gone with the bath water.

Lara mfl 05, Dragonlady30 and lanokia like this.
  8. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I worked 60hr weeks often but husband didn't complain as a rule. He sometimes wanted to go out and I would refuse but he sometimes went to gigs with another friend. I was usually free Friday night and Saturday and we always did things together then. I did all the housework during holidays. Frankly - he appreciated my salary and he appreciates my pension now. It definitely impacted on our relationship and family life but we did OK. My job gave us a lot.

9. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Yes, lindenlea, my husband never complained about the amount of time I spent working at home because he was delighted I was earning so much.

10. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I stayed till 5 o'clock (after a 4 o'clock finish) and still had to bring work home! :(

lindenlea likes this.
  11. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Ditto :)
    My ex would get exasperated now and then if my work had an impact on his leisure activities but, like xena's husband, knew that I was supporting him in his cushy not-quite full-time HE job with my bigger salary so kept his mouth shut on the whole.

12. marlin

marlin Star commenter

I had the family around for Sunday lunch a couple of weeks ago. After we had eaten I felt very sad that one d-i-l, an NQT, had to go to the study to do her marking whilst my two sons and other d-i-l (all in professional jobs) could sit and chat with us. There is just this expectation that schoolwork will encroach on family time and there is nothing wrong with working at weekends and late into the evening anymore. I know I was the same and since retiring and seeing my d-i-l working like this it has opened my eyes to the sacrifices I made.

Mr Marlin did try to advise against working so much at home - but everything always had to be done.

lizziescat and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  13. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

I think Mr S would rather I came home early ish and did it here than spend hours extra at school. if i did do it all at school i'd never get to speak to my colleagues after the kids had gone, and that's quite important at our place. a quick cuppa and update is essential!
    also, i think mr s knows i need my down time, and if i stayed at school till 5, i'd only start again after dinner and keep going. there's never an end to the to do list! so i get home, potter for a bit before dinner, let the day simmer down. we eat early so there is time afterwards to get stuck in.
    the sunday bit can be problematic, though, when events are on he wants to go to. we always go to gigs when there's one. i've only once given up gigs for work (ofsted arrived) and it's not going to happen again if i can help it!

marlin likes this.
  14. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

No as I don't bring work home. I get what needs to be done in school.

15. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

The problem is the 'reasonable 'bringing work home, (at e.g. exam times, special one off project, to get away early) has become taken as a universal duty. There is a conversion of "it's reasonable (or indeed more effective sometimes) for you to work occasionally at home" , to, "you've done it for two weeks so therefore you can do it every other week."

The last school I was in timetable mock exams for the last week of the Autumn Term and the results had to be 'on the system' by the end of the training day in January, (but "Its up to you when you mark them"!!!)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  16. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Given that I worked with ICT for much of my career it made sense to work at home given that my home PC performed far better and was less restricted than my school one. My room at home was comfier than my classroom too. However, one of the advantages of living within walking distance of school was being able to stay behind and get stuff done, then only having a 20 minute stroll home instead of the commute from Hell. Mrs MSB was also a teacher for much of the time that I was one, so workload bickering rarely happened between us.

17. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

When my daughter was young the workload wasn't as much as it is now but I always took work home rather than stay at school as at least I could be at home with her even if I wasn't giving her all my attention. She is a teacher now and can only work part time to have any hope at all of spending time with her husband and children.

18. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Different jobs have different demands. Son 1 works in a theatre, goes in for 10.00 am but is often there for events in the evening or just meeting a deadline - sometimes it's quite glamorous but work nonetheless, and he often works at home at weekends. His boss is quite happy phoming or emailing whatever the time or the day. Many sales jobs take people away from home for days at a time.Retail demands weekend working etc etc. Teaching is time consuming and very demanding but so are other jobs. i was always glad to be around for my boys in the holidays and they understood what my work was about because they knew about schools - it all helped.

19. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I was ok with working from 7.00 to 6.00 at school and preferred to get it done there if possible. That usually included a debrief with some of my department too.

There was some weekend work too, but I preferred to do an early morning session, so the rest of the time was free. It necessitated a cleaner too, otherwise I would have been spending the downtime cleaning.

20. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

As @Mangleworzle said, there used to be a cycle in the school year: some periods could be quite manic but there were quieter times, such as the when Year 11 had left, that compensated. It was like being a weight-lifter: maximum effort and strength were need to lift the weight above their head and hold it there for required few seconds, after which they could release it. Nowadays, SMT only see the moment when the dumbbell is held aloft and think that this concentration of effort is normal and can be sustained indefinitely.