1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have you ever had your department put in a complaint against your through their union?

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by September, Jan 30, 2011.

1. September

September New commenter

When their rep took the complaint to the HT, he asked if it was informal or formal. Her reply was that it was informal.
    To me it makes no difference as I have had my union involved from day one as I am very wary of the members of my dept. The complaint was not signed but referred to all members of the dept but not by name.
    I have been able to respond to all their complaints and none of them were justified. The dept have been asked to respond but none of them have. I feel absolutely devasted by the whole situation. Following my response not one member of the team has had the decency to acknowledge that this should not have been done. I do so wish I could put the complaint and my repsonses on this forum so that everyone can see that this was totally unjustified. My HT and DH both acknowledge that this complaint should not have been raised but will they say this to the team. Hell no. But I have to continue day by day working with a team of staff who I cannot trust anymore. They blame me for decisions that are made by SLT as they do not have the guts to raise a complaint against the HT.
    I have decided that I am not going to be driven out of a job that I love for the sake of a small minority but I am going to continue to work hard for the sake of the education of the students.

2. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

September can you say that to them in the way you have posted on here? Show them how much the whole event has shaken you and is deeply unfair? Or do they not have a modicum of decency and human nature between them?
    Alternatively confide in another HOD from your school who might be able to offer some perspective and talk to the individuals (for instance, by highlighting the fact that changes come from high up rather than from you).
    It certainly feels like a very unpleasant situation and you have all my sympathy!