1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have you ever found that when you smile, the whole world smiles with you?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Does your laughter bring the sun peeking through the clouds or your crying bring on the rain?

If you are gifted in this way, is there money you could make by offering your services to fetes and farmers?

2. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Nope - when I smile at people, they get afraid...very afraid.

cuteinpuce likes this.
  3. By_the_Shiny_Brook

By_the_Shiny_Brook Established commenter

Extraordinary.

4. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I don't think the song is meant to be taken literally. But I do find that if you smile at people they usually smile back and it does make you feel more cheerful.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I agree. treat people with courtesy, politenss and friendliness and generally one receives the same back.
    Interstingl a friend has just returned from a holiday abroad wher the shop assisstants were the direct opposite of the welcoming Canadian/American 'Have a nice day' attitude. I put it down to their lack of sunshine and daylight!;) Though on reflection that should mean Canadians are the same, which in fact is the direct opposite.

ilovesooty likes this.
  6. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I think that if you behave negatively towards people you get negativity back as a rule.

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  7. Duke of York

Then why did the lyricist write such things? How many other songs that have been part of my life are you going to tell me were a pack of lies? I wouldn't put it past you to tell me that Santa Claus won't be coming today, or any other and that Frosty the snowman didn't dance around in his magic hat, because all magic is trickery.

You'll be telling me next that all the love songs ever written were vacuous and the only relationship song worth its salt is this one.

8. Sid_Pubes

Sid_Pubes Senior commenter

What's this about a song? The couplet is from a poem called "Solitude", the best known work of a perfectly dreadful American poet Ella Wheeler Wilcox [1850 - 1919]. She was the poet Barbara Cartland would have been had Cartland had any sense of rhyme or rhythm. Today she would be writing the verses in cheap greetings cards.

9. Duke of York

Do you know, Sid, it had never occurred to me until now that the wealthy might enjoy better prose in the cards they send each other. Can you give some examples of what I might anticipate receiving that might I aspire to if you can tempt me to win the lottery?

10. Sid_Pubes

Sid_Pubes Senior commenter

"Now that your wealth exceedeth that of Croesus
    And chagrins Midas, noble Duke of York,
    Your birthday greetings will be fine blank verses,
    And venison your lot, instead of pork....."

[A fragment from an early, incomplete Shakespeare play, The randy wives of Dudley]

11. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

Agree. A true smile is powerful.

I have noticed, more than a few times, that if I am in the middle of a conversation with OH, or someone, that involves laughter or smiling, someone in the background will smile right back if I make eye contact.

I'm not explaining this very well but it is a great feeling for someone you don't know to genuinely smile right back!

Lascarina likes this.