1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have you ever experienced the emotion known as legut?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I listened to an episode of Invisibilia yesterday that described how this emotion manifests itself. You can listen to it yourself if you wish.

https://www.npr.org/podcasts/510307/invisibilia

It's the one with the title High Voltage (Emotions Part 2)

"Can you discover an emotion? We travel to the jungles of the Philippines where an anthropologist named Renato Rosaldo lived with the Ilongots, an isolated tribe of headhunters. There he learns about legut, an emotion so intense, and varied, and scary to him, that he can't really map onto the usual palette of American emotions. It takes many years, and a shocking and tragic event, for Rosaldo to fully grasp legut."

Legut is apparently an emotion the Ilongots collectively feel when they suffer, or are reminded of the loss of loved one, or something they loved. It manifests itself in intense collective wailing. Rosaldo found the behaviour shocked him and when he tried to find out what was going on, the Ilongots told it was legut and repeated said "We have to take a head." since apparently head hunting is the only thing their custom has prepared them with to restore a sense of calm.

Maybe there's something in this that teachers who are saddened about the way education has gone since they began their careers have something to learn from the Ilongots.

2. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

I only suffer from theegut :)

3. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

Collective wailing because of loss like this?

4. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

You're right DoY. And the only way I can cure it is by taking the head of every S of S for Education since 1990.

These tribes certainly can teach us something.

5. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Wailing a bit with you lot, sure, always up for a blast.
    Ready?
    Three...two...one...

Ah. That's better.

6. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Umm
    No
    (I did look it up first)

7. zizzyballoon

zizzyballoon Star commenter

It strikes me, DoY, that in your ceaseless quest to become a polymath, you are picking up some information that is well nigh useless.:rolleyes:

sabrinakat and emerald52 like this.
  8. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

No information is ever useless, @zizzyballoon. Information of this nature is a piece in a massive jigsaw, that may one day be matched with another piece. I may well never find out how to use this information in any beneficial way, apart from engaging people with abstract nonsense, but even that is part of life's rich tapestry, don't you think?

Incidentally, are you aware that you can tell an interesting story about the year having 420 days rather than the 365 we are familiar with, using the study of fossilised coral?

9. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

No, but it sounds like the kind of thing that's right up my alley. Can you recommend some reading?

10. silkywave

silkywave Occasional commenter

Blub rather than wail if I’m honest. I’ve never thought removing a head was a good idea? What am I saying !
    I might not have read your post correctly @Duke of York? I tend to skim them. You tend to march over the hill for me.