1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have you ever done a person off 'depressed' completely take the **** out of the school?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by The Red Heron, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Honey Loop

Honey Loop New commenter

You upped this thread. How could you not have noticed the date? You must have gone back about 2600 pages
    Strange

2. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Perhaps s/he was searching for "depressed" and came across this thread. To be fair, that's quite feasible.

3. Honey Loop

Honey Loop New commenter

yes, it is

4. snowstorm

snowstorm New commenter

Im glad she upped this thread.
    One can be dismissed using capability procedures, as happened in my case; but I was reinstated by a knowledgeable, understanding panel of govs who treated me and my condition with the respect, dignity and courtesy it deserved; almost a year on, I am thriving and running a successful project, instigated by myself which after only 4 months in place, has already received Ofsted recognition.
    If HR had had their way, another long-serving and experienced teacher would've bitten the dust.
    Today, the gov has a number of schemes in place which are there to support employees with mh conditions to remain in work.
    Any update from kev?

5. Phoenixchild

Phoenixchild Occasional commenter

Very eloquently put and sums it up in a nutshell. I am currently going through another episode of depression, I literally just didn't turn up to work one day, the doctor knows my history and signed me off, my note runs until Friday when I have to go back to the doc. I literally can't face the thought of going back to work at the moment, am I skiving? Well I know I'm not exactly unbiased but I would say no. I am sleeping all the time, shaking uncontrollably when awake, having major panic attacks about the stupidest things, crying, slobbing around in my Pj's not washing. But when I do make an effort I can make myself look ok, paint on the smile and face the world *still can't get rid of the shakes and panic attacks mind* I make cheery status updates on fb so as not to worry my friends and family, stupid because when I get low I call out for help on there too so am not really fooling anyone. I guess, even though suffering depression there's still a bit of you that doesn't want to worry others, so you try and act the way you think others want to see you, people with nurturing instincts aren't fooled but it doesn't stop you trying to fool them.
    I also hope the OP never finds himself suffering with this, I hate it and for the sake of never having it again I would cheerfully go to work because when an episode of depression passes I actually ENJOY work. I am worried about letting my colleagues down, I miss the children and feel I am letting them down, no doubt the OP would agree that I am. Another stick to beat myself with, luckily I have learned to be open with my work colleagues, they are all, including my new acting head, aware of my history of depression and SH and are very supportive. I'm SO glad I have them as colleagues and not the OP or his colleagues.
    And yes, I know it's an old and upped thread but I also think it's relevant still.xx

6. My thoughts are with anyone who suffers with depression.
    I know several people who have suffered badly and some mildly but either way it's a horrible thing to have.
    A note to the OP having depression OR being on sick leave does not mean you're not allowed out of the house or allowed to take a holiday. In fact the worst thing you can do is stay indoors.

7. I'm on AD at the moment (second time) for work related anxiety. I didn't really believe in depression before, thought people just had to get a grip. Two years ago I had a mini meltdown and was prescribed AD. I was offered time off but felt that it would make me feel worse. Luckily I worked through it but have found myself in a similar situation. Again I'm trying my hardest to work through my issues but realise that not everyone can do this unless they are signed off.
    On the other hand my TA has been signed off since September with depression. For the first 8 weeks I had no support as they were waiting for her to come back. She is still off but comes in to drop her certificate into the office and breezes through the school looking great. She has told whoever will listen that she is milking the situation for all it's worth and will stay off long enough to be referred to occupational health. So despite having a valid reason at the beginning she is now taking advantage.
    I know that if I was signed off then work would be the last place I'd want visit. She is a trouble maker, drama seems to follow her everywhere so I'm more than pleased that I have someone to rely on who knows my current issue.
    I completely agree but should it be taken advantage of or rubbed in the faces of those who are covering for her? In my opinion no.

8. Depression is the same as any illness - some people will just get on with it and try to push it to the back of their mind (like I did), some will take the time they need and do things that help them to feel better, and others will take advantage. I have never taken time off with my depression (being off makes mine worse) but I did have some time off for a serious physical illness. When you are seriously ill (whatever the reason), it is not possible to just wake up one day and everything be back to normal. You have a recovery period where you have to start to make your life normal again. We will never really know whether this person was taking advantage (she may have been going out because she couldn't cope being at home alone), but maybe talking about it wasn't her best move, especially not at work. But then, should someone have to pretend that they are just sat at home?

9. Samjam1

Samjam1 New commenter

"Breezing in looking great" does not necessarily mean well. If mental health problems were as visible as broken legs or flu then they would be less taboo. I think. I'm not saying no one takes the p*ss out of sickness arrangements - but neither can you diagnose anyone on appearance. One of our friends years ago dropped dead of cancer - she looked great - probably through refusing chemo, I think, and no one knew she was ill. Her colleagues (she worked in an office) were sniffy about her leaving early (ie on time) cos she was tired.

10. neli

neli Occasional commenter

I have had flu and collic and lots of other nasties but nothing prepared me for depression. It is the worst place I have ever been.
    Not being able to eat when your parents were pleading for you to do so with tears in their eyes. Not being able to go to work at a job you loved. Not being able to leave the house even though it was a lovely day. Jumping through the ceiling if the phone rang or someone knocked at the door. Not being able to open mail so it ended up in a big pile in your hall.
    And the rest.
    None of this is fun, I am back in work now but I still struggle, yet, I am always cheerful. It's facepaint.
    Never judge what you have never experienced.

Neli

11. Samjam1

Samjam1 New commenter

That's what I was trying to say, but not as well

12. neli

Well the grammar isn't great but thanks :)

Neli

13. neli

I mean mine by the way, time for bed I think!

Neli