1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have you ever done a person off 'depressed' completely take the **** out of the school?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by The Red Heron, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Here, here. People do not ask for mental illness of any kind. Sometimes you dont even have any idea. It took many friends to convince me to speak to a doctor and it is only now I realise what is wrong with me and feel in a position to do anything about it. Maybe I should leave teaching, but Im strong enough to know this - Ill be damned if Im going to leave teaching because narrowminded individuals think I should! I want to consider it fully before I move on. For heavens sake, even my union agree with me on that!

2. Would you prefer it that she tore her hair and put ashes on her face? *** do you expect? It is bad enough being out of your head without having to tell your colleagues how grim things are. Easier to just put on a front. Colleagues are not friends, you don't owe them anything, but you owe it to yourself to protect your health. Depression is the worst, you look ok (sometimes), unlike a broken bone you get no empathy and it takes longer to heal. Oh, and it is stuck on your record despite you having worked tirelessly for God knows how many years without a single day off.

When I was signed off sick the doctor said to me, 'You are sick, not housebound'. Staying in is the very worst thing to do. Luckily, the decision is not in the hands of other teachers.

3. snowstorm

snowstorm New commenter

You hang in there and fight your corner Kev. You have a right to do the job you have trained to do and have probably invested your life in. Nobody has a right to suggest you leave. You deserve all the support you need to recover and get back to work if that's what YOU want to do.Take care.

4. Kev - for what its worth, I was ready to give up teaching after my experience. I never thought in a million years that I was the sort of person who would suffer from depression. I'm really glad I stayed in the teaching profession. As I said in my post, I did not go back to that school. Think about moving somewhere else. Email me if you want to chat
    madsoxcat@yahoo.co.uk Whatever you think, most people are not as unsympathetic as some of the ignorant posters on here. Depression is an illness. You do not choose to get it.

5. Thanks, thats why the union has specifically told me not to hand my notice in - yet. I saw a colleague of mine have a breakdown last November only to be ridiculed by similar people on here. I witnessed SMT being completely unprofessional behind her back saying she was one of 'those people who plays the system'. She was simply a mother who wanted part time but the unsupportive school we work at wouldn't let her. She couldnt cope and broke down. She's now on part time as the issue was forced, but if she'd had the support in the first place, would she have fallen ill? I very much doubt it. Schools have a duty of care to staff as well as pupils. I have dealt with seriously depressed kids. We would never dream of ridiculing them!

6. Hang in there Kev!!
    It's the Richiemillions of this world that breed an aura of 'looking out for oneself' in schools and lead to low moral- when colleagues should be supporting eachother through difficult times.
    Sometimes the best teachers can become worn down by unreasonable pressures within a school/ constant battles with SMT and ridiculous policies / poor support when facing pupil discipline issues. It is up to us to help and support colleagues- not shaft them at the first opportunity!!

7. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

Of course one of the problems for sufferers of mental illness is to reject those who are trying to help them and see them as part of the conspiracy trying to destroy them. These levels of paranoia are quite entrenched and do require professional help.

8. The Red Heron

The Red Heron New commenter

I just dont think that year after year children should suffer from having a teacher who can't cope. Surely after x amount of years that teacher would consider their position and realise they are not in the right profession ie a profession that requires boundless energy, enthusiam, good attendance record, reliability, teamwork and a conscience.

9. Mental health issues affect a huge number of people in our profession because if you do the job properly it is demanding and often stressful.

Depression is likely to hit many of us at some point in our lives and if you've managed to avoid it thus far, lucky you!

I wonder if these negative posters would hold the sam opinion about colleagues who eg enjoy dangerous sports and break bones, taking them out of action for some time. A colleague with a penchant for skiing and broken legs has put themselves in a position where they need time off work to recover. Why are "invisible" problems like depression pooh-pooed?

We are suppposed to be educating our children and the somewhat biggoted views on this thread are deeply distressing.

10. The Red Heron

Miss D, I am sorry if I have tarred 'one off' cases with the brush. I dont mean to.
    Can capability be started thoiugh against a person who has time off for depression, I didnt think so and neither did the ex coleagues I spoke to who basically said the HT could do nothing about it.

11. The Red Heron

Well thats incredible then, as this person has had at least 10-30 days off a year for thew last 5 years and the problem reoccurs at least twice a year. HT seemingly does nothing.

12. Richie - " Of course one of the problems for sufferers of mental illness is to reject those who are trying to help them and see them as part of the conspiracy trying to destroy them. These levels of paranoia are quite entrenched and do require professional help."

I pity you, I really do. How is it paranoia when I have read some of things you have had to say today? We are human. S**t happens. Some people can deal with it, others cannot. I havent been off for years. In fact I have been off for 3 weeks as a direct consequence of the school. Saying that everyone with mental health issues is taking the mick is a complete joke. If you are secondary and happen to have a tutor group I feel for them. I wouldnt want to be them if I had an issue to come to you with, I dread to think how you'd handle it.

13. I'm unlucky enough to have colleagues like that. I had the quote 'it is the survival of the fittest - if you can't cope then you dont deserve to have a job' mooted by a colleague! Nice eh?

14. I was off so often, with depression, and hated myself for letting everyone down - to the point where my guilt was making me worse. In the end I decided to take early retirement, even though I can't afford to, just so that the school can get back to normal and find someone better and more healthy.

But I most definitely did not take the ****, and would have done anything to have been able to feel well enough to go back. Each time I tried, I managed only months before being ill again. Not something I'm proud of, but I know how ill I felt, even if most didn't believe me. The not believing thing hurts though.

So now I've left and hate thinking that I ended my long career on such a downer.

15. Nuffsaid - that says to me you weren't taking the ****, so I would hold your head high! :)

16. The Red Heron

If it were me and I knew the illnes would re occur year after year, put upon year partner after year aprtner and LSA, classes of chidlren, fellow colleagues then i would personally have resigned by now and gone on supply to work the days I could physically and mentaly manage.

17. Thankfully I am not you, and I have not been off with stress year after year.

18. Richie Millions

Another interesting development in this scenario, is that those who share the same mind set of course develop loyalties and camaraderie, so that they might reinforce and encourage their own perceptions and prejudices.Unfortunately it eventually leaves one open to facing reality. Attack me all you want brothers and sisters, it is a part of your healing process. It is a shame that you are not yet ready to recognise it. Good night and bless you.

19. Healing process?

No, I know as a caring and balanced individual the difference between right and wrong. People with stress etc do not as a rule take the ****. IT IS AN ILLNESS. People should not be punished for that and you are narrowminded and insensitive to think otherwise.

20. Richie Millions

My dear colleague I don't think otherwise, but you believe that I do. There is the rub, as the Bard might have said. Do you read? Beckett might help?