1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have you ever done a person off 'depressed' completely take the **** out of the school?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by The Red Heron, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Doglover

Doglover Occasional commenter

That's why i was aking MD - there was no reason to have it removed.

2. I thought it was a fair and reasonable post. It was general not personal. O well. Never mind, nobody will be the poorer for missing my gems.

3. The Red Heron

The Red Heron New commenter

The last post is typical of the pathetic apologists who genuinely think other staff have no right to feel ****** off that someone is off year after year week after week. swans in and out with not an ounce of remorse or humility. If you were the year partner of these kind of epople who had to work late into the evenings, their weekends, bear the brunt of the planning etc would your halo be shining so brightly? I dont think so, you'd be as livid and fed up as the staff at said school are

4. Can you imagine if someone who hadn't had a miscarriage claimed they had and took time off?

Or if they claimed to have cancer, or heart disease, or another illness?

Why is it OK for someone to pretend to have stress when they don't, Miss D Meaner?

5. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

Oh dear Miss Demeanour it is you who appear rather angry and unstable at the moment so I will not seek to press your buttons further. Suffice it to say 32 years of working closely with colleagues in challenging areas of the country have given me the ability to distinguish between the genuinely ill and the **** takers. Judging by your comments I would place you in the former capacity. I suggest you seek some help. Take care.

6. unfortunately there are **** takers in all walks of life. There is very little we can do about it. Im sure people were peed off with me when I had my four weeks off with 'burn out' I was peed off with myself for letting myself get in that state! Depression is a horrible thing to suffer. I know this only too well. You cant win either way, if you arrive at work feeling all morose and down people lose patience, if you arrive at work all bright and breezy everybody thinks you are taking the ****. Some people play the system an there is very little anyone can do about it regardless of whether we think we should be able to. Sorry you are feeling so angry about it. Does anyone actually ask her how she is feeling or is just assumption that she is feeling marvellous because she can go shopping? Personally I absolutely hate shopping and would rather lie on the sofa at home and sleep

7. 6 years ago I was off school with stress for about 9 months.

I was a member of the senior management team at the school and a good teacher. I was the person who coped with everything. The headteacher spent 18 months bullying me until I had a breakdown.

I didn't intend to go off with stress or to have mental health issues. I could not have taught at all in that time and never returned to that school.

When I did return to teaching I needed to do so part time for a while, to ease myself back into it. I assume this is the case with the OPs colleague.

It shows the ignorance of the OP that he does not see stress as an illness. If the person he was describing had been diagnosed with breast cancer, would he still describe her as being a timewaster?

And, for your information Annie, it has never affected my employability since. I have always admitted it at interviews and no one has batted an eyelid.

8. Depression is a seriously debilitating illness.

Its hard for outsiders to see as there are often few outward signs. There is no rash, lump or operation for it. Its notoriously hard for medics to diagnose adequately. Im concerned about the assumption the member of staff has invented it.

I've battled with clinical depression for years and on the whole I've not taken time off school - almost certainly to my detriment.

An odd thing about depression is it makes you feel unable to cope with the day to day duties of life, and yet you need to fill your time to "keep your head occupied".

I wonder if the school is truely being supportive? In my experience schools have made my life harder once they realised in what way I was ill in each accute episode, but I have never had any problem securing employment.

I couldnt tell you how many times Id wished my illness was phsyical instead of mental. Thats accepted and understood far more.

I suspect the member of staff is completely aware of the hostility of the rest of the school, and I wonder why her health issues have become common knowledge in the school. It should clearly be private & confidential, and if for whatever reason the SMT have seen fit to allow her to work part time Im sure they accept the medical argument. They are probably privvy to far more info than the rest of the staff.

I dont condone bunking off, but Im quite cross at the attitude some posters have presented towards MH issues. It illustrates societies ignorance I suppose :-(

9. Whatever the rights or wrongs of the situation, if this woman is depressed or suffering any other mental health issue she shouldn't be in this job. I worked at a school which caused me stress and depression, so I left. Yes it has affected my chances of another job, I am still working on supply, but I would not pretend to hold down the job when I couldn't. And I wouldn't want someone who was struggling to cope teaching my kids, not to mention the disruption to her classes and colleagues.

10. Richie Millions

Well said that poster surely if your illness prevents you from doing the job properly after a period of time you should leave and not mess up the educational chances of the next generation.

11. If an individual breaks their leg and has to take some time off, it is usually possible to estimate their recovery time and say "X will be able to return to work in April", for example.

With mental illnesses, no one really knows if the individual will be better in on week, six months or 10 years. I think the vagueness and uncertainty of the whole thing makes it very difficult for employers to deal with.

12. This is making me so angry. For people's information, I am off with depression and stress as a direct consequence of the dire treatment I have had at my school. Last summer a year 9 girl accused me of assault. As per the procedure I was told I may be suspended. When told, I went upstairs and broke down in an office. That evening I got a call off the head to be told the girl had indeed made it all up. What happened next? Nothing. The girl is still at school, no exclusion, little punishment. I went back in the day after, confidence shattered until the summer. In September I didnt want to go back, I have slowly become withdrawn and physically at times unable to teach classes. I have lost all confidence. Are you telling me I am skiving? The likely outcome is I will leave teaching because of this as I dont want to risk anything like that happening again. But then, maybe thats a good thing as clearly 'it'll be on my record and I'll struggle to get a job'.

13. Teaching is usually a very difficult and stressful job these days. In my opinion you have to be either a very, very tough individual or should get another job (unless you are one of the lucky ones with an enjoyable teaching job).

I decided to quit teaching as I knew it would make me miserable. Maybe you should do the same.

14. Richie Millions

Interesting post. You were accused of something you hadn't done within hours after investigation that was proved untrue. Most of us to be honest colleague would have hurt a little taken it in our stride and carried on the next morning. There will be few mature posters here that haven't suffered of false accusation in some form. However your reaction was quite different which perhaps underlines greater difficulties hence your illness.

How long must a school be expected to keep open a job for you that you are unable presently to do?

15. I did carry on in my stride, thats what teachers try to do. However, why is it right that I was threatened with being suspended and all that goes with it while the girl goes unpunished? Yes, there are other issues within the school I work at, but why should I leave the career I chose because of bad management and poor support? Narrow minded comments that these teachers should 'leave' teaching and go unsupported is probably why I am off in the first place! Maybe if teachers are supported properly in cases like mine, we would feel valued and like we are safe to work in schools!

By the way - good for you that you carried on when being falsely accused. I'm sure that makes you a really great person!

16. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Sounds like the lady in the OP needs a slap at the very least for rubbing it in that she is doing less than others at their expense. She may need that time off though and may also be suffereing from a severe shortage of tact and diplomacy.

Like every teacher I have come across those who are suspected of taking advantage, phone up on the same day every week or fortnight for instance to avoid those days, time their come-backs to maximize sick pay and minimize work done for instance.

You can't always tell however as a few years ago a teacher started at my school and was off within a term, did less than half the year in the end. The next year was similar. At the start of this year she was put into our year team to our displeasure as we thought it'd be more of the same. As it happens she fits in really well, has gained the energy to revitalize her subject increasing gcse take-up and has had no time off this year at all. Previously she was regarded with suspicion and so was fighting on all fronts. She seems to have just hit it off with a few people in our team and it's tipped the scales for her and taught us all something in the process.

17. At the end of the day, kev, teaching in this country may well be an unfair mess - but sitting and sulking about it at home will not change anything. If you are angry and resentful, do something positive about it.

18. Richie Millions

Ah now Kev you are displaying all the characteristics of why you are not ready to teach. I certainly don't want to add to your sense of "victim" However adopting blame mode will not help you. Yes something bad happened it does to people all the time but they learn to adjust and move on. Annie gives good advice. If you want to add me to your blame and anger list then please do so, but it won't actually help you will it? It just adds to your building belief that if we hadn't all conspired against you you would be a successful teacher.

Believe me I am not trying to rile you but trying to help. I feel that I will probably not do that. So I will let our conversation go. Good luck to you though in whatever you decide to do in the future.

19. No, Richie. You are displaying all the characterisatics of why teaching is in the mess that it is in. I do not go to work to be put in positions that may jeopardise me or my family. If changes were made then that would never, ever happen and you would find a much happier workforce. The trouble is, there are too many people like yourself who 'accept' this and get on to it. Nobody should have to just accept certain things and move on. They are wrong. You are an example of just the type of colleague I would not want to have.

20. snowstorm

snowstorm New commenter

I hope all those posters who express arrogance and ignorance of mental health issues amongst staff in schools never experience it themselves. Stress and depression can hit anyone at anytime and when you are least expecting it particularly if you are not aware of what the symptoms are. It can take a long time to diagnose and accept as an illness, but it is an illness and a crippling illness at that which can destroy lives if not treated. Schools could do more to make staff aware of the issues surrounding stress and depression, its causes and long-term consequences in most cases. If schools, and particularly management were acknowledgable and provided support for staff with mental health issues, more depressed teachers would be in school doing the job while managing their illness and recovering. Sadly, as is evident from some of the posts on this thread, there are too many self-centred,selfish and uncaring people in the teaching profession whose only purpose serves to perpectuate
    the negative attitudes towards staff with mental health issues. I say to all of them GET YOURSELVES EDUCATED you never know when you will need support to combat this scurge that blights this profession. As one of my past headteachers once said, 'There by the grace of god we all go'.