1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have you ever done a person off 'depressed' completely take the **** out of the school?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by The Red Heron, Apr 2, 2008.

1. The Red Heron

The Red Heron New commenter

2. Yeah. I done the f.ucker. I done 'im good.

3. until teachers have become doctors then they are not qualified to make any judgments about anyones medical condition!

4. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

So a doctor can't make a judgement about his child's education nonsense madwoman.

5. It's never good to have mental health issues on your medical records. She may be enjoying her afternoon shopping outings now but will have to pay for it in the end.

6. I feel like I take the pi$$ in my job. I'm running at about 85% attendance. I feel awful about it, but depression does make you physically ill (I often get up and have to vomit before I can even start the day). When I went on anti-depressants, they were making me physically ill as well (for about 3 weeks).

I don't know how others cope with it - all I can say is that I'm trying my best.

7. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

I find in my experience that there is a double whammy to the scenario you describe. Often these long term time wasters (not the truly depressed) are often employed by vulnerable schools with recruitment problemd because presumably they can't find work in other establishments. They then add to that's schools vulnerability. Again in my experience a number of schools that hae failed OFSTED have carried at least one of these individuals.

8. It's an odd thing, depression, isn't it? It's really hard to diagnose, and even harder to treat. I know... I had depression (and still have really) for a number of years. My school were very good at dealing with me, as I didn't recognise my own symptoms... I just thought the job was getting me down, but after taking anti depressants, the world all looked cheery again!

Seriously though, I never took the pi.ss, and regularly forced myself out the door, simply because I knew if I didn't, someone at school would have to spend their free time sorting out and covering my classes.

This woman should be ashamed of herself.

Surely she must be checked regularly by the Doctor, and can provide plenty of documentary evidence.
    Even if she can, surely the school can decided that she is not suitable for a job in the school any longer, giving her adequate time to find another job????

9. The Red Heron

Lady N I feel for you, like I would any genuine case, at least you admit that you 'take the ****' this person though, staff think is so totally unaware she sees nothing odd with declaring her holidays and pm plans to a packed staffroom when off 'sick'. the parents are totally pis.sed off with it, and as I say she knows she has got SMT over a barrel as there are laws and procedures rightly in place to protect people with genuine cases. I know the rest of the staff never take time off which only fuels the problem more. If SMT can't do it, whose going to say to her 'do you really think you're in the right job?' Its long overdue, as someone said last night though she is unemployable to anybody else

10. I have seen it happen and her attitude does appear to be unfortunate. But if she is medically unfit to work full time, then that is it. Education is one of the few areas where you are expected to set cover even if you are knocking at the door of death, where even if you have been off with a stroke or something seriously life threatening, there are snide remarks and nasty gossip.

The depression is an illness, I have seen people take advantage of being signed off, much to the disgust of others. The sad fact is that there will always be 'wasters'. On the other hand, people who are genuinely ill (whatever the illness) deserve to be treated with humanity, not like a piece of sh1te.

11. The Red Heron

breadly, but thats the thing though, the school can't do that can they otherwise its classed as harassement or work place bullying. Staff seem to think she knows that too.

12. The Red Heron

Just makes the rest of us who work bloody hard for our money and who never have a day off seem stupid doesn't it?

13. "6 | Posted by: anniebaker at 02 Apr 2008 11:14

It's never good to have mental health issues on your medical records. She may be enjoying her afternoon shopping outings now but will have to pay for it in the end."

What an unfortunate thing to have written Annie, because I am sure you couldn't possibly have tmeant it the way it sounds.

People don't usually get to choose whether or not they have a mental illness, so to say they will suffer for it in the long run is unpleasant to say the least.

I have no idea about the teacher in the OP's post, but people who genuinely suffer from mental illness, would usually give anything to be able to hold down a fulltime job and function in some normal way.

14. "6 | Posted by: anniebaker at 02 Apr 2008 11:14

It's never good to have mental health issues on your medical records. She may be enjoying her afternoon shopping outings now but will have to pay for it in the end."

What an unfortunate thing to have written Annie, because I am sure you couldn't possibly have tmeant it the way it sounds.

People don't usually get to choose whether or not they have a mental illness, so to say they will suffer for it in the long run is unpleasant to say the least.

I have no idea about the teacher in the OP's post, but people who genuinely suffer from mental illness, would usually give anything to be able to hold down a fulltime job and function in some normal way.

15. "6 | Posted by: anniebaker at 02 Apr 2008 11:14

16. obviously didn't mean to post 3 times - it only posted for me once;)

17. oh and where did MD's post go?

18. Doglover, I think you failed to understand my point, really.

It is not good to have mental illness on your records. You should therefore avoid it if possible.
    IF a person is suffering so much that they are unable to work effectively or if the work threatens to make their illness worse, it is obviously highly advisable that they take time off as recommended by their doctor.

However, this thread is about people who don't go to work because they can't be bothered, usin the excuse of mental illness. This is not fair on anyone: their colleagues, people with genuine mental illness, people who would do the job better, the taxpayer etc.

It is also bad news for the skiver themselves because they have "x days off in 2008 due to mental illness" on their records.

19. How does the OP know that this woman is using mental illness as an excuse?

20. Why has my post been removed? It had nothing in it that was against the T and C did it? Anyone got a clue - ?

MODS? - You can't email me as you don't have an up to date addy - what was wrong with my post?