1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have you ever been inspired by a dream?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon4046, Aug 11, 2012.

1. That is, have you literally done something because of a dream you had? I had a dream that gave me an idea for some paintings, which I don't think I would've done without the dream. You?

2. You have just reminded me of a totally bizarre dream I had last night! I have no idea why it was so, but I was in a relationship with Steve Redgrave (yes, Sir Steve, the rower) and we were out shopping for furniture for our new house in the Lake District... quite unsettling I can tell you!

3. And are you going to ACT on this dream, may I ask?

4. Up until I woke up this morning I had no idea that I harboured any, erm, interest in him. He seems a nice chap, pleasant enough, obviously takes good care of himself. But I'm pretty sure he's spoken for already - oh, and so am I! I guess not acting on it would be a good thing all round. His loss... [​IMG]

5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I acted in my dream and woke up disappointed.. the she was onlya pillow and i had got excited for nothing lol

6. I sometimes spontaneously and almost involuntarily compose quite varied music in that half-dream. half-waking stage of sleep just before opening my eyes. It just happens, and I think it's original music, but I can barely remember anything when I wake. Mccartney says he wrote Yesterday in a similar way,

7. Yes, Bob - I hear that's pretty common. Fascinating, nonetheless. I once woke up certain in the knowledge I knew what the secret to life was, in one word. On my way to the kitchen to get a pen to write it down, I forgot it. The human brain, eh?

8. Remember to tell me if it comes back to you. I've been puzzled for over 50 years.

9. I'll PM you if it ever comes back to me...

10. Yes - I have painted or written after a dream.
    I have also come up with concepts for work after a dream.
    Sometimes I wake up and can't grasp it again - that is annoying. I try to let it go and hope it will come back.

11. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

Oddly enough, there's an impudent refrain, that keeps running round my brain. The tune of "I'll see you in my dreams."
    About twenty five years ago, there was a woman I met whist commuting to London on the coach. She flirted with me for a few weeks then one Friday evening on the way home, she asked if I'd like to share some wine that she'd bought. It seemed to be the right thing to do to return the favour after we got off the coach so I asked if she would like to have another drink in the golf driving range bar, which was the only local place you could take a lady.
    Well, the rest of the evening went remarkably well, and after the bar closed I offered to walk her home and continue our acquaintance as the night was yet young. She said something along the lines of "In your dreams" and went on her way.
    She hadn't told me at that stage that she had divorced her husband over his insane jealousy the previous year, but out of kindness, allowed him to continue to live in the house until he found somewhere else so long as he paid his share of the bills. Her concern was that if I turned up on the doorstep while her ex-husband had been pacing the floor whilst studying his watch for most of the evening there would have been something of a scene, to say the least.
    Anyway, when we caught the coach again on Monday, she gave me a package just before I alighted that contained a music cassette she'd compiled over the weekend and a note telling me that the songs explained how she felt and if I wasn't interested...
    So in return I compiled a tape for her to listen to and the rest is history. One of the songs on my tape was *I'll see you in my dreams", so maybe it worked for her.
    It's a lovely song, and Joe Brown and the Bruvvers do one of the nicest versions of it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWERLNXIZGc
    or if you want it with more orchestration http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Mu8D69uxA0
    Ain't romance a wonderful thing?

12. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I don't know about being inspired by a dream. But for years I had the same dream over and over again about returning to a house where I had lived in Greece. In the dream, every time I returned to the house something awful happened; the bell came off in my hand, the door fell off, the house flooded or fell down and so on. In short, I was prevented from getting back there.
    This dream became more and more disturbing and oppressive till one year, on holiday in Greece, I returned in reality to the house that was still there as ever was. In the square where it stood I met a woman who looked just like my old neighbour and without thinking I addressed her by my neighbour's name. This name by coincidence, happened to be hers too. We talked for a good while and then I went back to the place where I was holidaying. The dream never once returned after that. It must have been some kind of processing that told me I had to lay that part of my life to rest.

13. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

When I was trying to give up smoking I used to dream that I was smoking profusely, with huge wisps of fag smoke emanating from me. That certainly helped me to give up. It presented a new reality.
    However, designer psychedelics are the way forward in the future, I feel, when it comes to inspiration......

14. I met Joe Brown decades back, quite by chance. We chatted for ages. He was a really nice guy.

15. modelmaker

Indeed, celtic. He was a pop star when I was a kid with songs like "A picture of you", yet for some reason he never disappeared like most of the of that generation did.
    And other artists seem to like him a lot. Not a disturbing history in his case, just a nice guy. Who else would you ask to end the concert for George Haririson?

16. I used to dream up bits of composition when I was writing professionally and kept a little manuscript pad by the side of the bed in case inspiration hit during the night. I remember one morning when I felt especially pleased with my nocturnal scribblings only to be utterly gutted when I realised that I must've been dreaming about playing one of Bach's Oboe Concertos because I'd pretty much plagerised the whole thing [​IMG].
    I dream very vividly and talk whilst having them so I gather than I often sort through my problems in my sleep [​IMG]

17. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

a few years ago, we were back packing in the wild green yonder in the USA. Had a route set out and everything from the word go.

On the 3rd night had a very vivid dream, of floods, bears and snakes.

On our second to last night on the train, we came into camp at out allocated spot and I simply could not settle nor relax and set up tent.

In the end our party moved to the next field, over night where we should have been, the place was flooded out, tents shifted and a bear walked thought the camp clawing at least 3 other tents.

To this day I am thankful we got into base early and moved on.

18. modelmaker

Another thing I remember frtom a few years ago was a tale he told when he was standing in for Ken Bruce on the wirelesss. His story was that he'd been caught speeding or some other traffic misdemeanour by a copper and after being read the riot act, the copper got to the bit where he has to ask if there is anything the defendant wanted to say in his defence but that anything he might say could be taken down and used in evidence against him.
    Joe claimed he said "It's a fair cop, Gov, and no mistake."
    The copper said, "There's no way I'm writing that down to repeat in court" and let him go.

19. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Ooooft! I actually got goose bumps reading your post. I am 'haunted' to this day by a very similar type of dream; it involves a house I used to live in, I'm always trying to go back to it, there are always obstacles and bizarre happenings that prevent me. Although this is a part of my distant past life which I have laid to rest, I think I continually try to go back there in my dreams because that house itself represents an important personal ideal (perfect location, perfect lifestyle, perfect design, layout and size) that I one day hope to (re)achieve.

20. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

A few years ago I had a very vivid dream of being in a plane that was about to crash. I woke with a clear image of the plane and its logo as we were about to board it. I'm probably the least superstitious person you could meet but there's no way I'll ever fly with that airline after that dream. It's not as though I'd ever flown with them before or been considering booking a flight with them. No idea why they featured in my dream.
    A few nights ago I had a dream about an Olympic race. I can't actually recall if I was in it or watching it. The crowds were going ballistic as GB won the race and everyone was about to celebrate when officials announced that the entire race was null and void as there was no such thing as a 300 metre race in the Olympics and everyone had wasted their time running! Perhaps I should spearhead a campaign to have 300 metres added to 100, 200 and 400 metres!