1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have you ever been 'had'?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by albertdog, Jul 20, 2011.

1. In May, an agency contacted me with the possibility of three weeks work at a PRU. Apparently, a science teacher was wanted to give some revision for the students just before their exams. As requested, I visited the Unit: once to see what was needed and again to organise resources etc. Then.......nothing. The agency said that the unit had got in someone who had worked for them before.
    Familiar story?

2. In May, an agency contacted me with the possibility of three weeks work at a PRU. Apparently, a science teacher was wanted to give some revision for the students just before their exams. As requested, I visited the Unit: once to see what was needed and again to organise resources etc. Then.......nothing. The agency said that the unit had got in someone who had worked for them before.
    Familiar story?

3. Sometimes schools will pursue several avenues at once, inevitably disappointing supply in the process. On a few occasions I've been booked through an agency for a day's work, only to get a later second call to hear the school has found someone "internally".

4. I must say that I felt rather used, as the Unit made a point of asking me to arrange resources and making sure that I had given these in, ahead of the supposed booking.

5. Well there you go, I went for an interview at a PRU, then asked by the head if I would go back 2 days later to do a demo lesson. After this I was told that there was no one else in the running and after he had spoken to his deputy he would contact the agency to confirm.
    Meanwhile a branch of my agency in another town contact him and offer another candidate, problem is of course is that the other candidate is in Australia until August so I am now on hold..but I'm thinking that if I get the call in September he can shove his job where the sun don;t shine. And all because he is due for an ofsted inspection and the last 2 heads were sacked based on performance.

6. I am sorry to hear of your experience, timberwolf. I have heard that Special Ed is a strange place. Something similar, i think, happens when you get a call to go to a distant school, they ring around and try to find someone closer who, by the time you get there, has already arrived.
    I, too, have the experience of thinking that, at last, something is in the bag, which will last a few weeks, only to hear nothing more about it. It is specially annoying when you have doen a lot of work, preparing for it.