1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

have you ever been back for a reunion?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by cosmos, Mar 15, 2011.

1. . It was an unholy mixture of envy and schadenfreude.
    That is exactly why I have never, and will never, been to any kind of reunion. Besides, I know I would be the same......not very noble of me I know [​IMG]

2. Henriettawasp

Henriettawasp New commenter

I'm nowhere near successful enough to consider attending a reunion at my old school. Perhaps if I was the Education Minister...

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I went to a school reunion about 20 years after I took my O Levels and thoroughly enjoyed it, although a lot of the more offbeat people I really wanted to see again weren't there. I was particularly heartened to see someone who'd always been a victim at school was clearly in control of his life and was enjoying it all. I was also saddened to see that two ladies who'd been the closest of friends at school wouldn't speak to each other as adults, but there you go.

The best bit was seeing that the guy who'd been Head Boy, Champion runner, Mr Perfect etc had expanded considerably round the waist and probably wouldn't have beaten me in a quick sprint across the car park, but that's just me being petty ;-)

4. I've been invited to a reunion - not sure if I'll go because when I looked at the 'attending' list of names, none of them really rang a bell. And as someone else on here said, the people I'd like to see (the more offbeat types) don't appear to be going. Still, not everyone RSVPs.
    Still swithering.

5. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

No didddly no!!

I maintain that I am pretty much in touch with anyone I valued and wanted to be from back then.... Though quite a few pop up on facebook and I am generally happy to hear from them, Imight even bump into a few from time to time - The idea of an organised 'boast fest' fills me with dread and horror.

6. Hm. From looking at the facebook profiles of those on the list, the one I'm going to doesn't look like it's heading that way.

Saying that, the chap who's organising the whole thing has done surprisingly well, so perhaps that was his motive all along ( a one man boast fest )

7. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I can't speak for his motives - but one does have to ask what your own motive is for going - curiousity is nothing to be ashamed of at all afterall. I am just more frugal with my time and prefer to invest it in those who matter to me.

8. Typhoon

Typhoon New commenter

I've not been to an organised 'reuinion' as such, but I am in contact with most of my old primary class through FB (all of the girls from my primary graduated to the same secondary school), plus I have a few other contacts from secondary as FB 'friends'.
    A couple of years ago, a few of us decided to meet up for a pub lunch in a town near to our old primary school. We extended the invite to everybody who we were in contact with from primary, so it was a 'reuinon' in that sense, although in the end only 6 or so of us were able to make it for one reason or another. It was a pleasant afternoon as we ate, drank, laughed and shared old memories and photos and caught up with where we all are now, although I did get the impression that one of two of the people there were there to 'boast' and show off how 'successful' they now were, which I'm really not into!
    I will keep in touch with some of the people I've now found from primary through FB, some more than others, and I'm always happy to exhange the odd e-mail and news etc and expect I may meet up with one or two of them for coffee from time to time. However, I also accept that all our lives have moved on and in different directions, people have their own families and priorities and I very much doubt that anybody will be popping in and out of each others' houses all the time.
    The exception being one girl who now lives literally down the road from me, who I went through school with right from the infants to VIth form. Given that we both now live about 65 miles from the area where we grew up and went to school, lost touch completely and both moved down here with our partners, this is even more coincidental! So obviously I am in more frequent contact with her and see her quite a lot.

9. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

There is a very book by Christopher Brookmyre about a school reunion, which is designed as a one man ego fest, but I cannot remember the title, he uses such weird titles.
    I am in touch ver vaguely with some people i was at Uni with, school not, never.

10. Nope no way not in 100 years - I hated school, was bullied dreadfully through my time there and think the past is best left in the past.
    I have a few of them on FB as "friends" (with very limited access to my profile and feed) and they not only appear to have never been taught English while at school, but I've got very little in common with them - they define their existence by the umpteen kids they all have, I don't get that option in life.
    I keep in proper touch with a few people from school and uni - but not many and not for the sake of clinging onto the past with anything vaguely recognisable.

11. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

I'm not in touch with anyone from school or university. I wondered once if I'd go to any reunion but I don't think so, I'd feel like a failure. I have a wonderful family of four that I'm proud of but career wise I'm not sure my education was really worth it.

12. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

I posted last year about going to a school reunion. As the school was about to be demolished it was a now or never moment and I was very sceptical about going, but ended up having a lovely afternoon.

I'm now back in contact with a friend who I hadn't seen for nearly twenty years. I'd say give it a go.

13. As I said, I'm still swithering.
    If I went, it would be out of curiosity and nostlgia (of a grim sort)
    Boasting-wise, I wouldn't have much to big myself up with. Nothing that would mean much to anyone else, anyway.

14. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Was it 'A Tale Etched in Blood and Hard Pencil'?

15. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Nope, it was 'One Fine Day in the Middle of the Night'. Though 'A Tale Etched in Blood . . . . .' does also have a significant amount of 'school based' plot in it.

16. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

I was wondering what to read next, that is the one. I think we have them all. As an aside, Seren knows his mum.
    kudos

17. Yes I went to a school reunion about five years ago? Met up with some friends not seen for years and been in close contact ever since. We have lots of adventures together (mostly involving eating and drinking!)
    Go ! You can always leave if it's not so good.

18. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

It's one of his best, imo. Enjoy.

19. No, nor do I intend to ever intend one if one should be organised again.