1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have you discovered any good online shops recently?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by coffeekid, Jul 16, 2019.

1. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I found some great clothes shops when we were in France recently, and was really happy to see they have online versions. Winning at life. No doubt the French think the'yre nothing special, but I live in a small town where everyone seems to buy their clothes from the local Primark (it's one of the few big clothes shops here, so no judgement, but I'm sick of the sight of ill-fitting, ripped skinny jeans.)

Anyway -
    Uniqlo - my new favourite shop. Japanese apparently, which explains why the length is so good for me! Aaaand reasonable prices.
    For anyone who's interested (they have menswear too):

https://www.uniqlo.com/uk/en/home/

Also, BonPrix. Like a big French John Lewis.

https://www.bonprix.co.uk/

colpee and LondonCanary like this.
  2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Uniqlo also have shops in the UK.
    (They also pay Roger Federer $30 million per year to wear the brand :eek:)

coffeekid likes this.
  3. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

They don't have them in Scotland! I only heard of the shop last month.

catmother likes this.
  4. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I was sorry when Uniqlo moved out of our local mall. I’m still wearing a couple of zip-up hoodies I bought there about 15 years ago. I found it a bit hit and miss, but the quality of a lot of the fabric was pretty good.

coffeekid likes this.
  5. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I agree!

smoothnewt likes this.
  6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Where's it manufactured? I won't buy anything made in China or Bangladesh.

The French are more discriminating than we are and more aware of the ethics of employment and the desirability of keeping employment opportunities for their fellow countrymen even if it means paying more.

Saint James and Aigle are reputable brands.

7. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Eldest son lives in Tokyo and a vast Uniqlo is nearby, youngest son almost fainted with excitement when he took him there. He earned himself massive brownie points with his mates for whom he bought t-shirts you can only get in Japan apparently. I was happy with my headband and Godzilla t-shirt.

For some years I've bought many of my clothes from Orvis: https://www.orvis.co.uk/ all good quality stuff, but the best thing is they have great sales twice a year and I've rarely paid over 60% of the actual price for anything.

Also, for the gardeners: https://www.chilternseeds.co.uk/ all kinds of things you hardly ever see anywhere, in plain packets though, so you need to look up what they'll look like and not for the beginner.

coffeekid likes this.
  8. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

9. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

It depends on the price though, doesn't it? For example, I don't buy from Primark because a t-shirt can be as little as 2.99, which, going down the line, means a terrible pittance for someone. If it's made in China or wherever and it's a normal/decent price, then I'm more likely to buy it. I'm aware of the arguments that if we don't buy the sweat-shop stuff, people are out of work, but...

10. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I've actually stopped buying "fast fashion" completely. It's terrible quality.

burajda and smoothnewt like this.
  11. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Yep. I’m sitting here in a top I bought roughly 20 years ago, and shorts that date roughly from 2006.

I’ve got loads of really old stuff that has lasted well and I still enjoy wearing.

sodalime and coffeekid like this.
  12. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Charles Tyrwhitt, classic british clothing for work and Thread.com, gives me ideas. I try to buy fewer but better quality clothes and shoes. So for example, no point spending less than £65.00 on a pair of work shoes.

coffeekid likes this.
  13. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I bought a lovely tablecloth from La Redoute. I love it. When we carried the dining table into the garden for my birthday lunch I felt so stylish.

14. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Neither do I but it appears that quite a lot of people do.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-48950868

"Travel companies from across the UK are laying on buses to take shoppers to a Primark store.

The world's biggest Primark, covering 161,000 sq ft over five floors, opened its doors in Birmingham city centre in April.

Travel firms said a shopping trip to the West Midlands had been one of their most popular attractions of the year."

The modern generation really know how to live, don't they?

15. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

All of the shrubs I have bought from the Waitrose garden website have impressed me. Really good choice, well packaged, healthy looking and I haven't managed to kill any of them!

coffeekid likes this.
  16. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

@bombaysapphire - the first plant for the garden I ever bought when we moved here five years ago was a tiny daisy bush - it's now taller than me and is covered in frothy white "daisies" every summer. I love it.

bombaysapphire likes this.
  17. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

By coincidence my daughter bought me some Uniqlo items for a pressie recently and they're good quality gear - Japanese?

Mrs MSB swears by Maisons du Monde when we're in France. We have to divert to the nearest branch whenever we're in larger towns on holiday. They've got UK branches.

Best prices I can usually get for genuine printer consumables is https://www.7dayshop.com/ who are based in the Netherlands.

I get most of my stuff via eBay but their business sellers often have their own websites too.

coffeekid likes this.
  18. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Sorry @bombaysapphire - I meant to say it was from Waitrose online.

bombaysapphire likes this.
  19. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

How can you buy stuff online if you haven't already tried it on?
    I joined a slightly older lady in M&S, where i musta tried on 30 bras, in saying "Look at yr customers. We're the old girls who have lost bulk in the top area. Design bras for us, so we don't have a vacant space at the top. You'll make a fortune." i ran after her and said she should email that to M&S but shr said "ill try Debenhams instead".
    Someone somewhere missing a trick.

coffeekid and sodalime like this.
  20. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

I buy very few clothes but when I do I just get them in tesco along with the groceries.