1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Have you converted a GTP to a PGCE?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by emilymason, Jan 21, 2008.

  1. Hello.

    Has anyone successfully converted a GTP to a PGCE (either Primary or Secondary)?

    If you could let me know what year, and through which institution, I'd be grateful.

    Thanks a million.
  2. Hello.

    Has anyone successfully converted a GTP to a PGCE (either Primary or Secondary)?

    If you could let me know what year, and through which institution, I'd be grateful.

    Thanks a million.
  3. A GTP qualifies you to teach so why do a PGCE as well?
  4. Because you can't use the GTP outside England, Wales and NI... pretty limiting.
  5. welshwizard

    welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

    Postgraduate degrees can be gained in a number of ways- nqt programmes increasingly give credits towards Masters level qualifications and the intention is that teachers achieve masters qualifications as part of CPD
  6. tell me more about this....i'm a GTP and planning to work abroad...does this mean i'm not qualified to? how can I complete this masters level? in my own time or through school?
  7. I've done heaps of research on this (in regard to Aus and NZ) and a masters won't help you teach there as it's not 'pre-service training'. The only post-grad teaching qual they recognise is PGCE. Not sure about other countries, but do know that GTP is generally not accepted outside England, Wales and NI, with or without a Masters.
  8. GTP is accepted in scotland providing you did 3 terms. See the GTCS website about extraordinary registration. Please check your facts before scaremongering other people. I am sorry you can't get to Aus/NZ with your teaching qualification but it is a widely known fact that that is a problem so you could have taken a PGCE if you really wanted to teach abroad.
  9. welshwizard

    welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

    Daniellebeebee- You need to find out what's available in your school via your CPD co-ordinator. Some universities have local links with in service programmes for accreditation. Getting a postgrad qualification does not mean that you could still teach overseas -many of the openings are for specific secondary subjects and teachers with experience/leadership post. TEFL qualifications are still probably the best bet for teaching overseas and they open up adult teaching not just schools.
    Good luck all
  10. The GTP IS accepted abroad the only countries that have an issue are Australia and new Zealand, and as someone said before this is a widely known problem.

    Ask Oriel on the GTP forum or even do a search. There isnt a way to convert it unless your Uni offers you the oppurtunity of doing a final assessment which then awards you with a PGCert.
  11. Hi, I followed the PGCE course a few years ago, however I did not complete the essay components of the course due to personal circumstances at the time. The uni advised me at the time i was able to do this without informing me i wouldn't be able to emmigrate with only QTS. I now find myself in a rubbish situation of being unable to go Oz as I always planned. However I have recently contacted the Uni and they have said i can complete the essays and I would gain a PGCert, does anyone know if this would be acceptable for skill assessment over there??

    Thanks for your help!
  12. With respect, that's p*sh! I have eight years experience of teaching A-Level Physics via the GTP and I can't get registration with the GTCS. It's on the front page of the website that they'll not accept GTP, SCITT and until recently Teach First, which they will now if a significant academic content is included. In fact, my wife struggled to get registration with the GTCS because her degree is not the same subject as her PGCE, and she went through the Scottish education system.
    These people are not scaremongering, you can only use the GTP in England and Wales and some international/private schools, NI won't accept GTP either.
    You are also not informed it is not recognised anywhere else, I've actually worked with people who took the GTP route and were told it is better and more widely recognised than PGCE. I think it is very shallow of schools/government to encourage people in, to cover their staff shortages, hide the information or lie to them to keep them, then on completion you find you're stuck!?
    PS extraordinary registration can count after 7 years of teaching 11-18 yrs, the same subjec. See what happens if you get pulled in to cover maths for a year or biology etc!

Share This Page