1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have you broken a bone?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Dec 7, 2019.

?

Have you broken a bone?

1. Yes

25 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. No

18 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Unsure

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  1. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Broke leg when I was 14, falling off a horse. Was at secondary school, a very old building on 3 floors with a magnificent staircase - and no lift ( back in the 60s). I had 3 weeks off, then went back in a cast for another 5 weeks. They had to re-organise timetables for half the school so that all my lessons were on the ground floor!

Piscean1 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Leg (greenstick fracture) as a child - fell out of cot.
    Ribs - playing rugby.
    Toe - waterskiing.
    Thumb - playing cricket.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Senior commenter

When I was nine months pregnant I sat down heavily on a rock whilst having a picnic on Dartmoor. The pain from my fractured coccyx was worse than the labour that followed a couple of days later.

slingshotsally and Piscean1 like this.
  4. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I tripped up the garden steps when I was 6 and broke my right arm. I loved having the plaster cast on because it meant I couldn't do PE and could stay inside at playtime

5. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I nearly broke my "funny" bone the other day when at my daughters talking and Grandson aged three said "have you pi$$ed somebody off?"

Jamvic likes this.
  6. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

I broke a bone in my hand playing cricket - and had an X ray at A & E which confirmed it. Then later the hospital phoned me to say they'd had a second look at the X ray and weren't sure it was broken. But the treatment was the same whether it was or not (protect it at all times and plenty of rest, as I recall). So maybe yes, maybe no!

7. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

Broke my wrist badly tripping over (alcohol wasn't even involved!). I was a long way from civilisation at the time so I drove myself to hospital which was interesting and not an experience I ever want to repeat. Had operation to pin everything back in place. I am now much more cautious about where I put my feet!

nomad and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  8. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

Fractured skull
    Fractured cervical bone (atlas) c1
    Numerous broken, or cracked, ribs
    Fractured sternum
    Lumber 5 and sacrum 1 welded together
    Metal plate in left tibia
    Multiple dislocations / fractures both ankles

Did I win? What's my prize?
    I only included the major ones

nomad likes this.
  9. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

I feel left out not being a member of the Broken Bone Club...
    I have either been very cautious or very lucky during my 60 years! In fact, I’ve only been in hospital twice and that was having the Baby Bassetts.
    Do I win the ‘most intact’ prize?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Broke a rib once

11. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Broke my upper arm and shoulder socket when gardening last year. 'Wrecked it' the docs said.

Before that nothing.

12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I've broken most of my fingers, wrist, ankle and my collarbone a couple of times.

Mostly sporting accidents.

The most painful was breaking my ankle after a slip in a gorge in Crete. I was gutted because I wanted to do the Samara Gorge Hike a few days later.

Fortunately the break wasn't too bad - I got an excellent Greek Doctor to fix it as best he could and I did the hike as planned (very slowly and painfully).

nomad, Lara mfl 05 and BertieBassett2 like this.
  13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

upload_2019-12-8_11-41-35.jpeg

Just didn't want to miss out on this.

14. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

I broke a finger playing rugby at school, and played for over half the game after doing it. I was one of two people from that game to end up at A&E that day!

I’m sure I’ve broken two toes playing cricket. On neither occasion did I bother getting it checked, because there’s not a lot that can be done with a broken toe.

It proves that playing sport is bad for your health!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  15. T34

T34 Established commenter

I've probably broken some of my own - was in A&E often enough when younger - but never anyone else's, as far as I know.

16. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Goodness. Some folk have had more than their fair share. My son broke my nose when he was three. He jumped up at me for a cuddle, I bent down to lift him up.. my nose collided with his head. There was a loud, resounding crack! Ouch. :(

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  17. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I thought Covruscorax and nomad's list were quite long, but that's definitely the most so far.

nomad likes this.
  18. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

Broken pelvis and ribs result of a drunken driver swerving over the road and hitting my side, passenger, of the car. 10 days in a coma and paralysed on the left side.
    Have broken ribs and a foot since then, also suffer with bad back pain.

19. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Oh these posts are giving me the jitters! I've never broken anything but husband has hurt his knee badly today - the one that was replaced 6 months ago. Hope to goodness its just soft tissue and not the joint. he can sit in comfort but its hurting to bear his weight on it in some positions. Stepped down heavily off step ladders yesterday hanging curtains. The knee isn't hot or swollen and he feels OK in himself.
    This is where you all chip in with "It'll be fine!"

20. peakster

peakster Star commenter

My clumsy sister managed to fall out of a window on the third floor of a building. She broke a bone in her back and a few ribs and other minor things but was back at work a few months later.