1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have you broken a bone?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Dec 7, 2019.

?

Have you broken a bone?

1. Yes

25 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. No

18 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Unsure

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

When I was nine I fell off a cliff at Loggerheads park in North Wales... broke my leg. I seem to remember it as three months in plaster and then physio to get me waking correctly again...

So... are you break free or are you too in the broken-bone fraternity?

2. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Aye: one wrist due to misjudging a horse's jumping capability, another broken wrist due to a rather lively 21st birthday ball and a broken ankle due to an unexpected dismount from a horse that didn't really want me to be there.

3. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

broken many bones

some of the culprits:

netball
    basket ball
    icy pavement
    shoelaces
    concrete steps x3
    buying a newspaper

4. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Not yet.

Jamvic likes this.
  5. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Oh - a broken toe due to mis-judging body size and a doorway.

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I was next to my father about 16 years ago when he broke his ankle... he was going up stairs in a hospital and the stairs had these metal edges... rather nasty....

7. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

PCjr has dislocated her knee three times. That's not been ideal.

8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I broke my arm aged 10 jumping off a kiddie swing at the local rec. I had one of those full arm plaster casts bent at the elbow, so Napoleon impressions were really easy. I needed a general anaesthetic for the bone to be reset.

A few years ago I casually belly flopped off my surfboard into shallow water expecting sand below and landed on the only sodding rock on the beach. If my rib wasn't actually cracked it was certainly well bruised.

A few months ago I broke my finger when I whacked it by mistake with a large wooden mallet. I patched it up with a primitive splint made of rolled up birch bark for a fortnight. This helped it to get better and protected it from any more whacks, as I was working on a building project at the time.

9. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I broke my ankle the first year I was in Scotland.

10. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

11. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Lead commenter

When I read the title of the thread I thought" Oh dear, have you broken something and would like us to break something as well so we can come out in sympath as I'm afraid the answer from me would be quite a firm no . Well not this week anyway . I hope you don't break anything else either .
    Have I ever broken a bone ? Yes a hand ( was eighteen ) and ankle ( two and a half ) .

12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I am adjusting my mental image of you with every sentence of this post.

magic surf bus and lardylady like this.
  13. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Never broken anything. Sprained the same ankle many times once having to get it x -rayed as they thought it was broken.

14. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Holiday. Student. Alcohol.
    Smashed my face in and broke my nose. Then 5 yrs later, Son1 jumped up and broke it again. Then only a few months ago, a large piece of plywood fell on me and busted the soft tissue as well. No other bones, but the same one repeat times!

15. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Yes, in the Roy Keane sense

16. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I was going to say no, but then realised that I have indeed broken a rib.

I fell when I was about 8 months pregnant and was just so worried about the baby and with the discomfort of being 'very large in pregnancy' - I could balance a teacup on the bump, it wasn't till several months later that we realised I had broken a rib, or possibly two, but it / they had healed and it was only my oddly shaped rib-cage, which gave it away. :rolleyes:

Duke of York and Piscean1 like this.
  17. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

What did the newspaper do?

I broke my wrist as a child. Well, my brother broke it for me and then ran off so I was left wailing. It was quite obviously broken, and I remember my mum shouting from the bath, "If I have to come down there..." She came down. I distinctly remember a loud expletive before she walked out to get our next door neighbour! Hideously squeamish!

18. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Eeek Lara! Though you wouldn't want an X-ray anywhere near a foetus.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  19. smurphy6

smurphy6 Senior commenter

Leg aged 14 - fell down some stairs said “It’s fine, it’s fine.” Looked down to see bone! The screaming started at that point. Had an operation to sort it out. Two weeks in hospital then half a term off school. Loved it at first but the novelty of being stuck in a whole leg plaster cast soon wore off.

lanokia and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  20. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I suffered a broken femur when I was 13. I was doing a paper round. Second day in the job. The round was far to large to be practical to do in the time they expected a kid to find out where all the houses were and I ended up getting a b.ollocking for being late for school.

On the second day, I managed it quicker, but was still tenn minutes late for school. There was no way I've not be on another fizzer for being late, but as a thirteen-year old kid, I imagined I would suffer a lesser b.ollocking by showing I'd tried to be at school as early as possible by dashing across the road in rush hour traffic. I remember it hurting a bleedin' lot, but as I lay on the trolley waiting to be X-rayed, my thoughts went back to a book I'd recently read, which was about Douglas Bader's biography.

I read all sorts of stuff at that time, including books about mind over matter and considered how much pain Bader must have gone through in having two legs smashed up and got over it, whereas I only had one damaged leg, so it wasn't that bad. Then I wondered how painful it would be to walk on hot coals or sleep on a bed of nails.

I spent four months in hospital, because the fracture was a clean break and I had to be on traction for three of them, to pull the parts of the bone together so they could knit themselves together again.

After that, I had to spend a month learning how to walk again.

Many years later, in the mid-nineties, we took a weekend break in the new Forrest with the fox terriorist we had then. On the way home, my sweetheart was concerned that the mutt would probably want to take a leak, but there was nowhere to stop on the M25 after she she said that, apart from pulling into the Clacket's Lane service area.

That female dog would only ever piddle on grass. They had a bit of it there, I remember but it was fenced off by a low fence. I tried to carry the sodding dog over the fence, but she went all wriggly on me and had me over, so I ended up with a fractured wrist.

I didn't know whether it was sprained, ricked* or fractured at the time. It just hurt, but we had to get home all the same, so I drove home with a similar mindset that I would eventually overcome the pain.

The pain got worse overnight, and I went to A&E, but after my arm was X-rayed they had a four hour queue to be seen, so I told them I had a business to run and would come back when they weren't busy.

I have to give thanks to the NHS in both instances that they did what was necessary to return me to full health, so I could recover and be a contributor to the nation, rather than just someone who might become a cripple, as they were once known, and have an effigy of their type, begging for pennies outside the post office.

We really do need to understand and appreciate what life was like before the NHS, and what it's like for poor people, i.e. you and I, in counties where healthcare isn't affordable.

This morning, I had my weekend disturbed by a resident whose dog was poorly. It isn't my job to take her and her dog to the PDSA, because she can't afford private vets's fees but who among you would have denied her request in her hour of distress for her her dog's health to get the beast to be checked out and get whatever's up with him sorted?

I don't expect there to be anything other than a charity to look after the sick animals of poor people, but I do expect a nation of humans to look after their own kind, whatever their income or circumstances.

This election isn't just about what the Tories promise you might get if they are able to alter a lifelong habit of lying, it's about what you've already got but will lose if you're stupid enough to let them back in again.

slingshotsally and lanokia like this.