1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have you bought your 'going back to school' shoes yet?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by minnieminx, Aug 23, 2011.

1. clangercrazy

clangercrazy New commenter

I HATE buying shoes, I have wide feet, but not REALLY wide, which means a lot of the 'wider' shoes are too big at the heel and slip off, even if the rest of it fits nicely.
    M&S were my saviour last year, but I tried just about every pair of 'wider fit' shoes on in there this week and they didn't fit, they weren't wide enough!
    I've tried A MILLION shoes on this week. I HAVE to have comfortable feet or I just can't cope, usually flat and very plain, boring comfy.
    Finally found a nice plain boring comfy pair at BHS
    [​IMG] ALSO, bought this pair as they FIT! Small heel....I'll probably not cope but nice to have another slightly more 'dressy up' option
    [​IMG]
    Crazy as this may sound, I may buy another pair of that first pair and save them for next year....... as buying shoes that fit and are comfy is such a p*ss about for me! They are £6 cheaper on line.... will see if they are comfy next week then decide.....

2. I have shoe envy! Am now going out tomorrow to buy some new shoes, think this will make me feel much better about starting as an NQT on monday, thank goodness for shoes.

3. ESLAB

ESLAB New commenter

Out of interest, does anyone wear converse (or similar)? I live in them out of school and one of my own children asked 'how come I don't wear them to school?' I guess it is to do with a dress code and they may be seen as too casual? I would love to wear 'more casual' clothes to school (but then again, I'm against school uniform too)!

4. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

I've worn UGG boots on a few occasions but with an outfit where it still looked professional and smart enough for school. My school was ok with things like that though, so guess like you said it depends on dress code, which depends on the school. I've got at least 6 or 7 pairs of different converse but to be honest, I wouldn't dream of wearing them to school. Not sure there's a way to make them look professional and smart!

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I wear converse and similar out of school all the time as well. But I only wear them to school on non-uniform days.

Tell your child that converse are casual clothes not work clothes, easy.

6. I wear Converse sometimes . My head teacher does too. I guess each school is different...

7. fruit_bat

fruit_bat New commenter

Last year I wore my converse every day but got a new head teacher starting in sept so thinking I need to smarten up as I know our last head was very relaxed. Think I'm going to have very sore feet to start with as no shoes seem to be comfy!

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter

9. WOW. As shiny as a Christmas bauble. NICE.

10. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

Love those shoes, Msz.
    Re: Converse - love them for outside school but have never worn them to school.

11. zozo1

zozo1 New commenter

Well, it's a year on since I contributed last time. I never did wear these purple shoes :(
    [​IMG]
    I tried one day but changed into flats by the end of first lesson and never tried again (what a waste of £55!) I do still LOVE my monsoon not-for-school beauties though :)
    [​IMG]
    Sorry the picture is so big, I don't know how to alter it.

12. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I finally bought my new shoes! I do already have a huge collection of shoes for school (mainly M&S, I have to admit) but bought FOUR new pairs today. I had a bit of a spree :)
    I've got some knee-high black boots with a small heel, some brown ankle boots, some trainers and a lovely pair of red buckle shoes... I do already have red shoes but the heels are huge so I needed something red that was a little more workable!
    [​IMG]

13. beethan31

beethan31 New commenter

I've bought these to wear with trousers. I can only wear heels for a couple of days a week. These are SO comfy (Clarks) and I love the brogue trend. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Feeling all sad and left out as can't justify new school shoes this summer but I I'd buy some lovely spotted mules as a mid summer term pick me up if that counts :-D

15. zozo1

zozo1 New commenter

Oh I forgot, I bought these this year - they're so comfortable! (I wore them last night). They do them in black with a black and grey ribbon too, but I always wear black so went with the brown.
    [​IMG]
    ...and some flats of course! Although I've just spotted these black flats with a cream bow and lace sides on the website instead of black bow and sides and I'm sad now :(
    [​IMG]

16. madmusician

madmusician New commenter

I find buying shoes a nightmare - I have really wide feet! On our way back from holiday I found hotter shoes at an outlet and the first pair I tried on fitted - exactly what I'd been looking for but a tad boring [​IMG]
    M

17. zozo1

zozo1 New commenter

I hate it too madmusician! One foot is a size 3 and the other is a size 4 and I have very wide feet too. That's why I'm so happy about my brown ones above, it's the first pair of shoes I've bought in years that fit straight away. I'm no good at wearing shoes in, if they're not comfortable straight away I just give up on them. I've worn the same pair of shoes all year that don't match any of my outfits and I've seen everyone looking at them askance in the staff room - but hey, they were comfortable!

18. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

My kind of shoes for sure!! WOW! Where are these from?

19. zozo1

zozo1 New commenter

:) The brown ones are from New Look and are £19.99. The black ones are from Internacionale and are £9.99. Bargain both of them!

Edit: Oh no!! The brown ones have been reduced to £9.99. Good news for you though! Here are the grey ones (that are still full price) if you are interested.
    [​IMG]
    Oh and there's black with red ribbon at full price too.
    [​IMG]

20. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Thank you. On a second look the brown, like the grey more, have too thin a heel for me really. I need thicker heels to avoid injury.

Love the flat ones with the cream bows, but they are maybe too flat...

Never seen the internacionale site before though and they do have some fab shoes...