1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have you bought classroom resources out of your own money in the last year?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by dunnocks, Apr 19, 2019.

?

How much have you spent on classroom needs in the last year

1. nothing

8 vote(s)
    16.3%
  2. under £50

18 vote(s)
    36.7%
  3. £50-£100

8 vote(s)
    16.3%
  4. £100-£200

8 vote(s)
    16.3%
  5. £200-£500

7 vote(s)
    14.3%
  6. £500-£1000

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. over £1000

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

counting things you need to do your job, such as board markers, going up to basic equipment for children, paper, glue, etc, moving on to more expensive items such as science or art equipment for demos, or even class sets, DVDs, books, or classroom furniture. Also paying for things like photocopying.

I've bought everything on that list, but not all this year.

This year:

basic stationary
    science equipment
    classroom displays

around £250

also had to spend £20 on World Book Day costume

MissKitCat likes this.
  2. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I do have a colleague who has spent over a thousand pounds on resources, including many from TES

agathamorse likes this.
  3. num3bers

num3bers Occasional commenter

I have cut down considerably on what I am willing to spend on school these days. I have in the pst even bought text books out of my own money but now I just buy one and ( illegally?) photocopy as required.

4. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

In my earlier days I bought some basic items. When we hit a financial bad patch as a family I couldn’t afford to do this and never started again. The only things I buy are personal stationery items such as a daily notebook or personalised laptop cover.

MissKitCat and dunnocks like this.
  5. SomethingWicked

SomethingWicked Occasional commenter

I buy single copies of textbooks to copy around for students. I see it more as a workload management expenditure than a case of me 'buying classroom resources'. It's not worth my time making my own worksheets (for the millionth time), so buying it in saves me precious time.

6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Basic Stationary (mostly from Poundland) - that's it.

MissKitCat and agathamorse like this.
  7. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

ridleyrumpus likes this.
  8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Didn't use to have to.

Now we get a ration of materials at the start of the year and then we are on our own. I'd guesstimate I'm presently in the region of £300-400... but that's a guess.

MissKitCat, agathamorse and dunnocks like this.
  9. catbanj

catbanj Occasional commenter

Big whiteboard for the wall - my classroom didn't have one and I can't teach without it.
    Visualiser - that's my Easter present to myself. I was promised one last September, kept being told it was ordered then it hadn't been. I found a bargain on ebay :)
    Now we have no dept budget left I am buying rulers and other basics as well

MissKitCat, agathamorse and dunnocks like this.
  10. maggie m

maggie m Senior commenter

Playdough, and pipe cleaners you would be amazed how many uses they have in A level biology

11. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Well in the last week before the Easter holidays I bought chocolate eggs for one of my groups, but they entered the room in such a rabble and paid so little attention throughout that I withheld the sweets and binge ate them all straight after they left in quiet teacher despair.
    Otherwise I have spent a few pounds on biscuits, which I rarely share with the kids, but frequently show to them; this is because I am too tired these days to stand looking at them ominously for minutes on end. I just sit down and hold up the biscuits instead and they go quiet surprisingly quickly.
    This to me is money well spent. Who needs working board pens anyway...

Shameless? Give me a break-I teach Core, and I do it without enough stationery.

12. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

yes, but through choice to make my life easier, not because i have needed to, nor been asked to

MissKitCat and dunnocks like this.
  13. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

These stories are mainly about management incompetence. Budgets need planning to include spending needs and money. That means planning salaries, resources, maintenance, everything. If there's not enough for teaching resources then too much is going on something else. Might be too many management salaries, might be poor management of energy costs. Teachers buying resources is clear evidence of bad management.

agathamorse likes this.
  14. topquark

topquark New commenter

Sorry Skeoch, this may be caused by bad management. However it's bad management which has been fueled be austerity measures. Analysis by the House of Commons Library found that real-terms spending on schools and colleges have slumped from £95.5bn in 2011/12 to £87.8bn last year, a total fall of £7.7bn. And school spending has been cut by at least 8% per pupil in the same time. There is also a teacher recruitment crisis, a demographic pupil bulge on the horizon and teacher morale has never been lower.

How can educators summon up time to think about school supplies and whiteboard pens when their line managers are threatening them with formal capability, conducting learning walks, book looks, preparing for OFSTED, SATs and the myriad other preoccupations of a modern day UK teacher. Nobody has time or money for measures to make a teacher's life easier - and it certainly isn't written in the teacher's workload reduction toolkit.

Would you see an NHS doctor buying equipment to scan patients?
    Would you see a policeman/soldier buying uniform or tazers?
    Would you see a professional footballer using his own credit card to fly to matches?
    No way. We are the public sector bottom feeders. We aren't trusted, we are despised on a universal scale. The blame is always placed upon our shoulders for everything. If there are no staples, it's our fault..............

15. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Unfortunately the answer has been Yes for conflicts including Iraq, Afghanistan and the Falklands. Again the consequence of poor management.

agathamorse likes this.
  16. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

How about home internet services. Are you expected to pay for and maintain an internet and laptop at home compatible with the school system so you can work from home? This is quite a considerable expense, yet I wouldn't be able to function without it on a day to day level

agathamorse and MissKitCat like this.
  17. MissKitCat

MissKitCat New commenter

Although I have purchased some resources I spend more on gifts for the children e.g. a book at Christmas (I look for good deals), prizes, food etc at reward parties (the party is a part of our reward sysytem). For the last couple of years the school have not given the children a gift when they leave year 6 so us teachers in year 6 have given a gift that the children can keep - our gift is not as good as ones that they used to get from the school but we write a personalised message to the children.

agathamorse likes this.
  18. MissKitCat

MissKitCat New commenter

I agree that I would not be able to function without a laptop and internet at home but we do not need any special sysytem. I email or save bits on a memory stick, and what cannot be completed at home I complete at work. When someone I worked with had issues with their internet provider it resulted in them missing deadlines for planning etc. Just thought, when I started teaching plans were handwritten and we did not have an IWB!

agathamorse likes this.
  19. SundaeTrifle

SundaeTrifle Occasional commenter

In 1998 I worked on a temporary contract in a school where on the first day I was told by the HoD not to do much photocopying because of the budget. My predecessor, who left teaching mid-term, used to use a Banda machine to copy worksheets. Also there wasn’t a decent photocopier for staff to use to create a top copy of cut and paste exercises. I taught maths. Very few sets of text books in dept. The classes I took over were too badly behaved to allow me time to write on chalkboard. No computers available for staff. Only two free periods per week and they could be taken for cover. As @SomethingWicked says, I bought textbooks and used to go to a local supermarket with my scissors and glue stick and make up worksheets to use. Spending a fiver or so a week on photocopying was a sanity saver.

agathamorse likes this.
  20. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

Was it this? here

agathamorse likes this.