1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have you been TEEPed?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by brookes, Feb 20, 2010.

1. I've attended Day 1 and Day 2 of level 1 TEEP training. I found the course left me feeling inspired and enthused, mainly because it focused me back on teaching mathematics. Perhaps I'm a terrible Googler, but I can't find much on the internet (on maths and TEEP).
    So, have you done TEEP?
    Has it made a positive impact and if so, how?
    If you aren't keen, why?
    Is anyone working in a school which has embraced TEEP as a whole school approach?

2. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

TEEP being?

3. DM

DM New commenter

I have been TEEPed. If you want to ask anything, pm me. Day 5 of Level 1 is fun.

4. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

One of my previous schools was training quite a lot of staff in it when I left 4 years ago but because I moved areas don't really know how it went. Unfortunately I left before it was 'my turn' to go on the training, quite a lot of INSET required as I remember.
    It is something I have wondered about and I googled a while back and there isn't a lot out there or at least I didn't find it.
    Would you recommend it DM and anyone else with TEEP experience? Is it something that's popular in some areas and not others, I know a few Birmingham schools were doing it a few years ago.

5. DM

DM New commenter

It's pretty good but I wouldn't call myself a complete convert. I have pinched and adapted bits of it that I use regularly. I was in the second wave of people TEEPed at my school to Level 1 and, over time, we offered the training to our entire teaching staff. Our students all took L2L so that they would become familiar with the common approach being adopted across the whole school.
    The Level 2 course is rather less enjoyable (it took time to assemble a portfolio and our presentations were not particularly well received by a roomful of cynical and critical Headteachers).

6. Thanks for the offer DM.
    "Presentations"? The only bit I disliked about Days 1 and 2 was the group presentation activity.

7. DM

DM New commenter

Shouldn't spoil the fun brookes but you get to play with toys on day 5 and make a animated maths movie!

8. DM

DM New commenter

an animated

9. Have just completed Level 1 Training, and can't find any good resources anywhere, despite being told that the TEEP website had loads!!!
    Good luck searching.

10. dstokem

dstokem New commenter

Have been teaching for over 30 years and have completed TEEP L1 training in fact all the staff in our school have been trained. PM and observations are written up on TEEP orientated lesson plans and now that progress is the big issue when being observed the TEEP philosophy of AFL and continually review actually helps this aspect of this area.

In fact half the staff are L2 TEEP which is essentially coaching others.

However, apart from that the whole cycle actually allow teacher and student to work as a team. Lesson take a long time to plan but in the class situation the student is empowered to learn independently. I would go as far as saying it has revolutionised my teaching. I enjoy my job now more now more than ever and have no intention of retiring even though my 60th birthday is only a couple of years away. Before you ask I teach in a school in a very deprived area, with loads of social problems but we have bought into this as a staff. Of course not all are totally into it but we support each other and students enjoy their lessons.

The crux is that the lesson objectives are made important to students; they see them as important and that might be the hook at the beginning OR highlighting the place that the lesson plays in their learning.

Enough of the evangelical rubbish. Try these sites:

http://learning.sunderlandschools.org/index.php?option=com_jdownloads&Itemid=60&task=viewcategory&catid=34

http://www.whshumanities.co.uk/page/?pid=159

I guess you should acknowledge these sites if you use their resources.

I have spent some time putting all the resources I have found into the areas of the TEEP cycle and farmed them out to my faculty. They are generic by and large.

My best new idea I saw this week when observing a lesson and used as a starter was "Give me five things that a ruler can do other than measuring or drawing a straight line?" Nothing to do with the lesson but gets the students brain thinking and working. Try Mr Wrong and Mr Right and also Chain Letters as starters.

Enough!! Not you me

Sorry PS

Try Edmodo and Socrative they are great and I use them all the time in my class.

11. DM

DM New commenter

Zombie thread will not die.