1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have you been 'restructured'?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by emerald52, Dec 10, 2015.

1. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Not talking about a new bra here, though that is an interesting thread too. Was it painful? How did you cope? Is there light at the end of the tunnel?

2. Twinklefoottoe

Twinklefoottoe Senior commenter

Many ICT departments can look forward to restructuring, as GCSE and A Level ICT qualifications are binned in the next few years. This usually means some kind of internal but usually external (laughingly called 'independent') review about a year in advance of the deed. Then the Head is sickly sweet to everyone in the department, right up to the latest point he has to actually reveal some of you are going - he won't want anyone leaving or getting wind of redundancies until after the February half term, so they can't leave at Easter and make covering exams difficult. Then individuals concerned will be formally warned their jobs are 'at risk'. What follows is a sham of a consultation, a token few questions by the union then the ones they want rid of are made redundant, possibly being invited to apply for new posts doing essentially the same thing but dressed up differently for legal reasons. Teachers are unlikely to receive anything except the statutory minimum for redundancy so a final payment of around £10k for long serving teachers, nothing if you have been there less than two years, and it's all done.

emerald52 likes this.
  3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

We were subjected to near constant restructuring as a result of one years bad GCSE results. It was awful.

And also largely useless.

emerald52 likes this.
  4. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Well it's a Happy New Year for me! (Trudges off trying to whistle a happy tune).

5. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I was part of an SLT that the head said he had been told to reduce in number. I was 'restructured' despite being the only member of that team with a statutory role.

emerald52 likes this.
  6. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

My wife works in NHS admin where 'restructuring' is a yearly game of musical chairs, which, as @Twinklefoottoe says, is just a continual way for management to get the wrong people (read 'expensive')off the bus. It's much the same in schools.

emerald52 and Yoda- like this.
  7. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Restructuring is very often used as a ploy to remove people who are not liked by SLT. It also has opportunities to reward the Heads sychophants.

emerald52 likes this.