1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have you been bullied?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by rosievoice, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

Despite my head costing the authority many thousands of pounds they were still in denial they had done anything wrong. Hopefully this study will include a look at the systems in place and see why so many need to take the CA route or leave rather than being able to voice their concerns and having support for things to change.

2. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

1092 views as of today. Thank you to everyone who has signed up.

3. Gardening Leaves, I wished I could be so trusting.
    How can you be so confident that this research is not also covertly 'researching' (on behalf of whichever powerful 'sponsor') who of those with CAs are willing to break the terms of their agreement?
    (sadly not simply paranoid thinking ...)

4. rosievoice

Last year these very same researchers undertook a study into workplace stress. I volunteered to help in this area as I was struggling with the ill-effects of workplace abuse. Unfortunately, I had been made too ill to travel to the region where they were working at that time. I believe the researchers to be kosher.
    Despite being subject to the restrictions of a CA, I shall share my experiences with them. Bullying teachers is a hidden crime, made worse by the legalised silencing of victims.
    Be brave, but be careful.

5. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

soleil22, you are right to be so cautious and I would urge everyone to be so. You wouldn't believe the number of times I have received a direct PM in which posters have immediately disclosed who they are, the name of their school and staff names. It's humbling to be trusted and I would never break the confidences but I urge people again and again to exercise more restraint. If I were like minded, I could easily contact Headteachers and cause terrible mischief. I never would, but I could. I have experienced first-hand the lengths to which my employer has gone to try to cover themselves and know someone taking a case to the High Court (not in education) who had private investigators snooping outside her house and in her bins. I am uber-cautious about revealing who I am or where I come from.
    However, this study really is a bona fide piece of academic research. I have satisfied myself of its veracity and the professional integrity of the researchers. It helps, perhaps, because a family member is head of a research team elsewhere so I understand the safeguarding that is in place.

6. snowstorm

snowstorm New commenter

I too am uber cautious GL even though I trust your judgement 100%. When the time is right, I may talk openly about my experiences which have left me living on DLA and ESA as my only source of income. My last salary was £45K !
    A 29 year vocational career destroyed by malicious thugs.
    I fight on though. Thanks for your support.

7. jellycowfish

jellycowfish Occasional commenter

That was one of the moves my HT made on me while forcing me out, and that was after putting me on capability. How have your other lesson obs been? Sounds like it could be a form of bullying. Why did your role change? Start collecting evidence on your past performances. And start looking elsewhere. Good luck!

8. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

Just lower doesn on this board is a post by a19pb that starts "a19pb's posts are always about bullying' or something similar. If you do a search for 'a19pb' you will find many threads that all discuss the psychology of workplace bullying: how to recognise if you are a victims and how to spot a bully.
    Also, the website bullyonline is very useful http://www.bullyonline.org/workbully/manage.htm with the caveat that some of the content is now outdated because Tim Field, who started it, died. Nevertheless, it still contains much invaluable information and has a whole section dedicated to teachers.

9. has this paper been written yet? i would like to read the report

10. rosievoice

I don't believe it has. A trawl on the internet has found nothing so far.

11. rosievoice

Good news. I have been informed by another poster that the first draft will be going to the publishers in a month's time. Publication should be in the New Year, or earlier if things go well.

12. let me know when it is published please

13. rosievoice

Will do.

14. Hi rosievoice

Do you know whether Mary and Pat are still looking for volunteers?

15. rosievoice

I doubt it, H&I. They conducted their interviews and research some time ago, and their findings will shortly be published. I intend to inform interested posters when this occurs. Sorry, chick.

16. I look forward to reading it. My local Council apparently did some research into bullying but then decided not to publish the report. I wonder why?!

17. rosievoice

Update.
    I received an email from one of the researchers just before Christmas. The book is finally with the publishers! I will let you know when it hits the shops :):)

ilovesooty and petenewton like this.
  18. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

(The missing thumbs-up emoticon)

19. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

As I may have said (jokingly?) before, bullying heads and SLT need to be taken into a private corner and given a good slap. Once this becomes the norm the bullying will stop.

20. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter