1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have you been bullied?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by rosievoice, Jan 3, 2012.

1. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

I receive the Teacher Support Network e-newsletter "Great Teachers in England". What with one thing and another, I only opened the latest newsletter (dated 15th Dec 2011) a couple of days ago.

I was interested to find the following request down at the bottom of the page:

<u>Volunteers needed</u>
    <u>Volunteers
    <font style="font-size:10pt;font-weight:normal;" color="#000000">Professor Mary Thornton and Dr Pat Bricheno from the University of Hertfordshire are looking for volunteers to help with their study of workplace bullying in education.</font>

To get involved in this study, contact Professor Mary Thornton or Dr Pat Bricheno
    (There are links in the newsletter to register your interest, but I have no idea how to post them here, sorry!) I assume the newsletter is readily available, even if you are not a subscriber.

2. rosievoice

129 views so far. Has anyone volunteered to register their experiences? Just curious.

3. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

Yes. I have registered and been contacted already.

4. rosievoice

Thank you. Excellent news.

5. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Are the people doing the study only interested in Mainstream teachers who have been bullied or would they be interested in FE teachers too?

6. rosievoice

Don't know. I imagine they are interested in a breadth of bullying experiences.

7. Rockchick2112

Rockchick2112 New commenter

This is a very important research topic, as I suspect the bullying of staff in schools is rife. I was bullied whilst working as a teaching assistant (although I am a qualified teacher) and I know of at least one other teaching assistant who was bullied at the same school. Although the research seems to concentrate on teachers, I hope as many people as possible respond. Here's a direct link:
    http://teachersupport.info/get-involved/volunteering/Volunteers-for-workplace-bullying-book-printer.php

8. jellycowfish

jellycowfish New commenter

Thanks for the link - I have now registered too.

9. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

This is a difficult topic to request volunteers for. I don't doubt many have and are being bullied in education, but no one *really* likes to admit that's whats happening as if it somehow labels you 'victim' in a derogatory and weak way....

10. Gardening Leaves

I was a victim of bullying, though I now prefer to refer to myself as a survivor of bullying. I made a similar observation a while ago, that the expression 'bully' somehow conjures the image of a weak individual being dealt with by a strong leader.

Victims of bullying are no more 'weak' and undeserving than rape victims. There is a wealth of research evidence to demonstrate that those targeted are frequently very strong, capable people who present a threat to the bully.

HelenREMfan likes this.
  11. Too many survivors or otherwise of bullying would sadly be prevented from taking part in this research due to their having signed a CA. :-(

12. Gardening Leaves

soleil22, the academic research is undertaken in strictest confidentiality. I suppose you are right that, technically, those who have signed a CA have undertaken not to talk about what happened at all. However, there is no way they or the school would ever be identified. The information is completely anonymised.
    I signed a CA (under duress, it should be said). I (and the lawyer) consider it invalid because the employer has breached the terms, although we have not tested this in court yet. I am assisting with the research because I am confident that my identity will be protected. Others will have to make the decision for themselves.

13. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

I didn't sign a CA and can take part, but why? The research will show that some teachers (as in other areas of life) get bullied. Even if it identifies a 'type' I'd rather the money was spent on doing something useful. I'm happy to take part if someone thinks it will achieve change of some value and I'm just being cynical.

14. Gardening Leaves

No, Torey. Sadly, I think you are probably right, but I'm not going to turn down the opportunity to get the phenomenon 'out' into a wider audience, by any means, especially if someone hands it to me on a plate.
    I used to do academic research before I was injured: I'll give the researcher the 'nth degree', when she comes to see me and see if I can ensure the research is put to good use! [​IMG]

15. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

I'm sure you will. Keep up the good work x

16. My view on it is that some research that <u>might</u> be able to start the move towards change is much better than no research that can't do anything at all (does that make sense? bit tired!).
    If those of us that have been subject to workplace bullying (or whatever you want to call it) had actually been punched, kicked, slapped, shoved or stabbed etc then we'd have absolutely no problem in reporting it and shouting about it. Just because the damage can't be seen on the surface doesn't mean that people aren't just as damaged. I wish the barstewards who do the bullying were lined up and forced to face the rage/damage that they've caused.
    So there [​IMG] (I'm just a little bit cross as you might have picked up)

17. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

So right GL

18. rosievoice

It would be a complete waste of time. Bullies may walk about on their two hind legs like humans do, they may even look like humans are supposed to look, but they are hollow shells. They have learnt how to put on an act and "pass" for human. But they are not.
    The bully's act will be good enough to convince most observors that they are speaking to a fellow human, but make no mistake, they aren't. These hollow, empty shams lack the vital spark of what makes us human: conscience.
    Imagine, if you can, how thrilling it must be for these shells to act however they like, to perform whatever nasty cruelty they can conjure, and all without the tiresome limits that a conscience imposes. None of their evil actions will ever cause them a moment's distress, for they are unable to feel this.
    Murder is the extreme action of beings with no conscience, and, once discovered, a murderer should, quite rightly, be locked away from humans. Workplace bullies perform further down the spectrum of no-conscience-behaviour, but their actions are also devastating. Be assured, the HT that injures a teacher doesn't lose a minute's sleep over the matter.

19. Aye rosievoice, you're so right! I don't think I can imagine how thrilling it would be to treat another person so badly though - I'd find myself very difficult to live with if I did such things.

20. rosievoice

Well done, Poem. You have just passed Rosie's online human test.