1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have you been Black Friday shopping yet?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Black Friday is supposed to be on the 29th November this year, but I gather that many shops have already started knocking out cheap tat in the hope of getting our money off us before it gets wasted on Christmas faire.

How long will it be before Black Friday lasts as long as the DFS sale?

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

NO

needabreak likes this.
  3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

And anyway Black Friday will be the one after the election when we have that dishonest, incompetent clown Johnson and his swivel eyed loons inflicted on us for the next 5 years.

Ivartheboneless likes this.
  4. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Senior commenter

No I don't join in with Black Friday either @peakster .
    As for your comment about the next Black Friday it would be wonderful to think that there could be another outcome but I fear you are right .
    Five year trip to Europe or anywhere else could be the only answer . If that were an option . Sigh .

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Ah the annual Black Friday thread.

Who cares? People shop? So what....

6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

No.

Conspicuous consumption. If I need something I suppose I will look for a competitive price. But, if I needed something, then I couldn't wait for Black Friday. By definition. I needed whatever it was. Then. Now.

LondonCanary likes this.
  7. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I bought a cheap laptop recently, I thought about waiting for Black Friday but remembered previous reports of how many "bargains" could actually be bought more cheaply at other times of the year, so I got what I wanted rather than picking the nearest thing that the shops were wanting to get rid of.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  8. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Can't stand shopping and the same samey retail outlets in every single town.
    Once you've seen one shopping centre, you've seen the mall.

9. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Ireland remains an option. Problem solved.

10. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Not everything one needs is available on Amazon Prime. House, car, wedding dress etc etc

11. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Mercury will be retrograde on Black Friday. It's a bad time to buy anything electronic.

Said so on daytime TV so it must be true.

12. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

You don't need to worry unless the moon is in Uranus.

13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Are there rings around Uranus ?

Norsemaid likes this.
  14. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

My spending depends on when my credit card bill is due to be generated. If I hit the day right I can get nearly two months to pay. Having paid it for the due date today, about this time next week any spending will not be due until mid January.

15. catmother

catmother Star commenter

No. I'm not saying that if I actually wanted to buy something and it just happened to have a 20% off for Black Friday,I would not accept the discount but I would not start getting lots of stuff just because of the so called bargains.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I was in a school once on a visit and there were some kids posters on the wall about the various planets. One of them was of the aforementioned Uranus.

The kid has spelled it "Youranus"

No joke.

17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Go shoplifting - that way you can be sure of getting a bargain.

18. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Senior commenter

There's a quote from Carry on Constable by Kenneth Williams about Uranus ,
    "Yes we know , when Mars in conjunction with Uranus you're in for a bumpy night !" Always make me snigger . Juvenile I know but who cares :) .