1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have we all become a little bit too focused on phonics?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by BrainJim, Aug 22, 2011.

1. How much time do we waste teaching phonics to children who already know them or who could work out the sound if they saw it in a sentence in a book. It seems to be a holy grail for some. The vast majority of children post Year 1 don't need that much phonics teaching unless they are on an IEP. Just how many different sounds does a 7 year old need. Is it really necessary to be teaching sounds like 'tion'.

2. How much time do we waste teaching phonics to children who already know them or who could work out the sound if they saw it in a sentence in a book. It seems to be a holy grail for some. The vast majority of children post Year 1 don't need that much phonics teaching unless they are on an IEP. Just how many different sounds does a 7 year old need. Is it really necessary to be teaching sounds like 'tion'.

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

The same number you need (approx 44 phonemes depending on your accent)
    I imagine what you mean is how many graphemes do they need to know - 160-180ish

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

In the sense of teaching them which letters make up the 'shun' sound yes! Because if you don't they get to year six and spell it as 'shun'! Unless they are my last year's class who actually didn't all know letters to make a 'sh' sound either!

But yes I do wonder sometimes about the amount of time given over to literacy. Literacy hour, phonics, guided reading, spelling, storytime, drama, show and tell and more in some schools! Does it make any real difference??

5. Msz

SOAPy tion isn't a sound it is 3 sounds /sh/ /o/ /n/
    the /sh/ phoneme written as "ti"
    if you are going to criticise then it might be worth trying to look as if you know what you are talking about [​IMG]

6. You have slightly proved my point MSZ. Do children really need to deconstruct 'sounds' to that degree. Phonics teaching seems to have been designed by committee and as one contributor says the curriculum have become overloaded on literacy. There will be many people reading this who weren't force fed phonics from an early age and still miracles of miracles learned to read and write.

7. Msz

It's called segmenting SOAPy and it's what most people (not just children) do when they want to spell words they are unsure about.

8. I never said 'never do it' just not endlessly and in such minute detail. Phonics is up there with big books for making literacy boring.

9. Msz

It's only as boring as the teacher [​IMG]

10. Like I said boring

11. Msz

Lots of small <strike>children </strike> SOAPs[​IMG]

12. I think it's all gone a little too far. We now have to include 15 minutes of phonics a day with an aim to improve spelling, especially in the junior classes. Reading is great throughout the school but there are definite issues with spelling
    We were supposed to bring it in last year after one staff meeting where our Literacy co-ordinator announced that she would be coming to observe us all teaching phonics. She's in KS1 where they have loads of resources and are really well set up for phonics. Those of us in KS2 had little idea of where to start and she didn't have any ideas either but she still came to observe us all...
    As usual, no resources were provided and we were all moaned at for not trying hard enough. I know there are loads of resources on here and that I could have found some myself but I get really annoyed when we're forced into doing something with no support. Anyway, after much complaining from KS2, the co-ordinator announced that she couldn't find any phonics resources for us! I suggested she search instead for spelling rules and patterns and, lo and behold, she found some. We are now well-resources and I'm actually quite keen to give it a go.

13. Msz

If all else fails you could use Support for Spelling

14. Msz

I would be really interested to know what resources you have as we just have pen and paper

15. A & C Black have brought out WORD: STRUCTURE AND SPELLING for each year group (mine is Y5 so 9-10)
    ISBN: 978-1-4081-0062-2
    There may be more but I haven't been back to school since the last week of term - I'm far too busy enjoying myself!

16. Thanks - I'd never heard of it before but spotted it on here this week . Is it any good?

17. Msz

Support For Spelling was published by the old DCSF in 2009 as a continuation to Letters & Sounds for KS2. I don't use either document but it would give a structure for anyone unfamiliar with teaching phonics.

18. Everyone needs the proper tools to do a good job. The fact that one child in five fails to get Level 4 Reading and one in five goes on to leave school illiterate is proof positive that teachers are still not being provided with the tools they need to deliver literacy to all pupils. The interesting thing is that when they are give the right tools to do the job, they do deliver - always!