1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have the schools there already broken up for what would normally be the "Easter break"?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ilovesooty, Apr 1, 2011.

1. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

Our schools finished today.

2. You'd need to qualify "there".
    Not all counties in England have the same term dates.
    Very annoying if you happen to live on the border of two (or three!) and find your children have their holidays at different times because their schools happen to be in different counties!

3. We finish teaching on Thursday and have INSET on Friday. Then off until 26th April (3 day week followed by a 4 day week).

4. Northern Ireland, Jazz.
    Will they actually be off for Easter, ILS? Please tell me Easter is still 2 weeks away :/

5. We broke up today, but neighbouring authorities are not until next week. The kids here only have 8 days at school in April as they then have Good Friday and the royal wedding off, too.

6. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

Two more weeks in Derbyshire.
    I prefer the Mrs a little more bright eyed and bushy-tailed.
    This term is too long.

7. They finish here on 15th April and start back on 4th May. Some schools are then off on 5th May for local elections.
    Our Easter holidays in NI are actually Easter Monday and Easter Tuesday, as opposed to Good Friday and Easter Monday.
    The schools will be off on the day of the Royal Wedding anyway.

8. But isn't that where you are?!
    Your title is "Have schools <u>there</u> already broken up" so presumably you want to know what schools <u>not</u> in NI are doing? Some schools 'not in NI' may have broken up, and some may not break up for 2 weeks - depends on where they are.

9. Sorry Jazz, I sometimes have difficulty interpreting things that are written. I thought that you were asking me where I was. Now I have read your reply, I realise that the statement "it depends where you are" didn't refer to me. In fact, it is now obvious that asking me that would not have made any sense.

10. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

I'm in Scotland, and we finished for the Spring Break yesterday. We go back for 4 days, then are off for the Easter break (Fri- Mon), then are back for 3 days and off for the Roayal Wedding and May Day hol (Fri-Mon). Only 8 days teaching time in the whole of April...

11. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

We finished yesterday.

12. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

I'm in Scotland too but we don't get Easter Monday off. Just Good Friday. I'm suddenly very jealous of you!

13. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Indeed. Did you see BBC Scotland news yesterday? School kids get Easter holiday shocker! School kids get May Day shocker! Of course,that has never happened before!

14. The only extra holiday is the wedding one and I don't think that teachers can be blamed for that!

15. We have another 2 weeks in (minus a training day a week Friday)
    Break up on the 14th, back in on the 3rd. Then we are in for 3 weeks, 4 days before we break up for Whit.

16. henriette

henriette New commenter

we finsh on Fri 8th, go back on Tues 26th; off again 29th-12nd, INSET day (CA moderation) on 3rd and back to teaching on 4th May - for 3 1/2 weeks before half-term!

17. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Easter holidays round here start today in some schools in the local LEA, but not in others. The neighbouring LEA starts in two weeks' time. It would be technically possible to work Supply without a break throughout the entire Easter period, assuming there was any work.