1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have the rules for Threshold Round 11 changed?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by b_m, Oct 16, 2010.

1. b_m

b_m New commenter

But then, i'm asking for assessment to be made now (or as soon as I put the form in) based largely on evidence from the last academic year.
    Is this any different to applying this time next year and being assessed on evidence from this year? Either way, any assessment has to be based on evidence from the past.

2. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Obviously all evidence is from the past; my point is that it should be the most up to date available, which will be the assessment from the year immediately before threshold is given. That is what happens in most organisations. However, that does not change the fact that this is not the case in teaching; I am not arguing with your right to apply now.

3. b_m

b_m New commenter

Sorry to drag up an old topic again but has anyone received any further information on this?
    Our HT is still saying that the guidelines have changed and evidence from the M6 year has to be available at the time of assessment, and still the updated guidelines, and Round 11 threshold form are not available from either the DfE website or Teachernet.
    I want to push this with our HT, but I also want to evidence in place so I don't look a fool!
    Any advice would be welcome.

4. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

This is what the DfE told me in early September:
    (My emphasis)

5. All this stuff is not new, Heads have been aware of the assessment changes for over two years now, and should have been advising staff and performance managers to make sure that their last two year's pm highlight that they are working at, or continue to work at threshold standards. We certainly advise all our staff at start M5 year that this is required, so that, if they decide to cross the threshold, application is simple and evidence is all in place. As PM should be completed by current year there should be no issue with not having evidence in place by the following September.
    There was some confusing backdating last year, in which round 9 I think, but could have been 8, could use that year's PM retrospectively and claim 1 year's backdated payments, but I thought that had ended.

6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

For anybody thinking of applying early, it is worth looking at your last two PM reviews, to make sure that all of the standards are there. If not, a chat with your manager should help you make sure they are there in the current year's review, boosting your chances of succeeding after that. As long as you apply by October 31st 2011, you still get Threshhold on the same day.
    I would also suggest that there is a chance that things might change until everything is published for the next round. The Government do seem to have education in their sights.

7. b_m

b_m New commenter

Sorry, could you clarify please, what assessment changes have they been aware of for over 2 years?

8. Assessment is by successful performance management over two years (two rounds of). Meaning, during that time the applicant has met, or exceeded the UPS standards. Therefore, once a teacher has done this and passed point 6 MPS they can apply to the head to cross threshold, if they wish, without having to fill out the old evidence citing forms for scrutiny. This means that teachers are assessed as they go and can be supported by active performance management to tick all the boxes, drive school development plans and personal development to ensure they meet the criteria. It also means heads just have to sign it off, no nasty shocks for anyone.
    Schools should have adapted their performance management to ensure this happens and that UPS teachers continue to meet and develop standards making progression through UPS a clear and uncluttered process and giving clear evidence that UPS3 teachers continue to perform to the level for which they are paid. (No discussions about the interpretation of these please!!!)
    It would appear that many schools have failed to do this, and consequently, there are problems with quality control viz: whether applicants are working at the standards or not, because the last two years PM has not focused on the UPS standards, basically those schools are hog tied, because if a staff member has two consecutive PM's that are successful the school is duty bound to jimmy up with the cash, regardless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would guess the next two rounds of PM for these folks would determine whether that staff member should progress or be place on some form of capability procedure, I can't see that there is any middle road

9. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

Quite. And your best post yet.

10. thank you..........
    Snow means I am house bound and can focus

11. I have also passed my last 2 Pm's , but failed my threshold. My head claimed I failed because my lesson observations was not good enough. (only satisfactory)