1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have the 17 ELG's been published yet.

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by essjay1, Jun 16, 2012.

1. essjay1

essjay1 New commenter

Looked at the new 2012 Framework to be implemented in Sept but where is the grid with the 17 learning goals as opposed to the 60 odd original targets. Has it even been published? Iv got a parents meeting soon and want to show them how we monitor children's progress but can't seem to find these goals anywhere.

2. You can download it from

http://www.foundationyears.org.uk/early-years-foundation-stage-2012/

It's the 'Development matters' document and the ELGs are at the end of each section.

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

4. essjay1

essjay1 New commenter

Thank you. I shall await the grid although can't understand why they havent produced this yet.

5. I was told at a conference yesterday that the government won't be producing a grid equivalent to the one we had with just the profile points on. It's not necessary as the ELGs are all printed in Development Matters. In resources, there's a Word version of just the DM statements, which you could use, or adapt to just have the ELGs if that's what you want. There are also other resources that just have the ELGs if you search for them.

https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/New-development-matters-statements-for-eyfs-6205331/

6. essjay1

essjay1 New commenter

Thank you. So as I primary teacher, really I only need to be working towards the 7ELG's? Is that correct? So if I was to make my own grid it would just have 7 targets on it?

7. There are 7 areas of learning, but these split into 17 different sections in total, so 17 goals.

8. essjay1

essjay1 New commenter

yes, sorry don't know what I was thinking. Thank you for your help

9. Msz

10. Hi
    Just out of interest I have split the 17 goals down into separate skills and there are 55!
    Here they are:
    PSED = 3 sections = 3 goals split into 15 skills
    Communication and Language = 3 sections split into 8 skills
    Physical Development = 2 sections split into 5 skills
    Literacy = 2 sections split into 8 skills
    Mathematics = 2 sections split into 8 skills
    Understanding the world = 3 sections split into 8 skills
    Expressive arts and design = 2 sections split into 4 skills
    There used to be 6 areas split into 13 sections with 4 goals (points 4 - 8) in each so there used to be only 52 so there are actually more now than there used to be!

11. LauraJeanD

LauraJeanD New commenter

Yeah but some of them were massive and had a bunch of goals within...like "CD6 Recognises and explores how sounds can be changed. Recognises repeated sounds and sound patterns and matches movements to music." That would be 3 things. The KUW ones were all massive too". But yeah it is deceptive. I guess it's s'posed to be less work cause we don't need to be analyzing them for progress. It's just best fit. But then we all know our heads will demand to see progress so....

12. I wonder how moderation is going to be adapted for this new EYFS. At the moment the year the moderators come to the school they ask for you to show 3 from the class that THEY choose so you have to have evidence for each point for every child. No point saying cutting down the work if this remains the same.

13. T34

T34 Lead commenter

The sum total of all the statements in the three age ranges is 304, if I have counted aright.

14. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Does this sort of thing have any effect on education at all? It sounds completely deranged.

15. essjay1

essjay1 New commenter

Now I am really lost. [​IMG] As a primary teacher should I only care about the 17 ELG's. How can there be more work? They are meant to be reducing the workload. Aggghhhhhh!

16. Msz

13 sections with 5 ELGs (points 4,5,6,7 & 8) so 65 ELGs
    Now there are 17 ELGs so in theory less (but they have 140+ separate parts)

17. But we aren't meant to separate the goals are we? So they maybe working towards it in one term and met it in another, if they meet it what then? National curriculum?

18. exceeding?

19. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

Are we not supposed to separate the goals? Some of them have bits in them that have nothing whatsoever to do with each other. I had visions of getting my highlighter pens out and having a mahoosive paper file for each child like we did pre using EyeProfile. I still maintain the point that everyone will be looking for progress and therefore we need to show progress. I haven't really looked yet, but isn't the new Framework supposed to line up better with APP?

20. Msz

Apparently it is heavily frowned upon ... they have to be looked at as a whole and you have to consider best fit (whether the child is emerging, expected or exceeding) each ELG. There won't be a new eye profile (or so we were told last week) so I'm afraid you are back to paper.