1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have Ofsted 'changed the goalposts'?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by InkyP, Mar 9, 2012.

1. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

This has been in the news a lot recently although I haven't had personal experience.

2. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

I think you could add 'How many times..' in front of your thread title.[​IMG]

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Satisfactory is the new good? No - satisfactory is going to be required to improve, even though the school probably is good.

4. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

OFSTED and "reality" are not within the same framework.

5. Henriettawasp

Henriettawasp New commenter

They have not only moved the goalposts - they have uprooted them and put them in a different stadium. Which you have to find.

6. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

This is all reassuring news. It's hard to swap between 'parent' and 'teacher' hats and to be objective about what I see and what I know. I do feel for the staff there and feel prewarned about what I'll no doubt be going through soon enough...

7. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

we've had a lot of staff meetings based on the new ofsted stuff.

8. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Have a read of the report... presumably it will enlighten you as to how they came to their conclusion, and what you think of it!

9. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

I've had a read. It appears to imply that there are 1 or 2 substandard teachers in the school and this seems to be the reason they were marked down. It also says that the school will be 'sorting out this situation' by the end of this school year', so I'll look out for which teachers leave! It also says that some children misbehave during lessons (nothing unexpected there) and that some don't stay on target for the entire session (again, not unusual). It does seem a little harsh....

10. midnight_angel

midnight_angel Senior commenter

We've got a whole day of this to look forward to, on the INSET on the first day back after the Easter holidays; I'm already so excited and over-joyed about just the sheer thought *yawns*

11. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

We were talked at for over an hour, with the obligatory all-purpose ppt, about this this week. I'm afraid I wasn't engaged, my attention wandered and we all found fault with the 'plenary'. (We'd woken up by this point as the car park was beckoning.)

12. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Just had an email from a mate. Would have been judged 'good' on the old OFSTED crieria, but is now 'inadequate.'

13. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

Well this all seems utterly ridiculous. How to completely undermine teachers, their successes and lower morale in schools. Well done Ofsted.

14. bedingfield

bedingfield New commenter

This seems to be the way that things are going. A friend's school was recently inspected and previously outstanding teachers were rated as satisfactory and good teachers as inadequate. The main area for marking down seems to be the lack of pupil progression. If 85% of the class are not seen as making progress in the 20 minutes that Ofsted observe the lesson, then the teacher fails!
    Also, last week, I was on a course where the subject came up and I heard a similar story to that of the OP. It was concerning a school that had been downgraded to satisfactory from good and there was a significant number of parents planning to move their children to another school.

15. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

How are they measuring progress?

16. bedingfield

bedingfield New commenter

Wish I knew. How can they tell what a child has learnt if they only watch the first 20 minutes or the last 20 minutes.
    Perhaps there is someone out there who can enlighten us. I'm interested, as we're overdue a visit. Might give me a chance to be one step ahead of them.

17. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

18. We have had our OFSTED under the new framework in January. We were gearing for OUTSTANDING and we were told that we would have been under the old framework (we were skipped over on the last framework because we got GOOD on the one before that) but got a Good with Strong features (new way of saying a strong good, with outstanding features) and were told that the inspectors were not expecting to see an outstanding under the new framework for quite some time.
    I am secondary so don't know quite how this translates to primary however.

19. That is exactly what happened to me lately- hence why I am currently thinking of leaving teaching. Is it really worth all the stress and pressure we put ourselves through?

20. Having observed OFSTED since its inception, I have reached the conclusion that the billions which must have been spent supporting the whole system, making schools, teachers and students jump through hoops, would have been better spent reducing class sizes and increasing the number of suitable teachers. OFSTED has done absolutely nothing to raise standards; as we pretty much thought when they kicked off.