1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have not been in the classroom for 7 months! Help!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by NQTMARIAM, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Dear Theo,
    I finished my PGCE year in the summer and like many others I was hopeful to find a permanant job for September. Unfortunately that did not happen and I am still looking and applying. My problem is that although I have registered with countless agencies for supply teaching and even tried some for office work. I have had no such luck.
    As I have had no job since the summer (apart from some odd babysitting) I am not sure what to write for the big gap? I'm worried the gap will have an effect on me getting a teaching post and I don't want schools to think I haven't tried to look for work because I have been doing since May.
    I hope you can give me some advice.
    Thank you.

Mariam

2. Get out and get another job. The market is totally shot to pieces and there is no time, apart from your own, to be romantic about the situation. If you can make ends meet and job seek, that's great. But otherwise, you have to be prepared to make money, or not. It's not like you can scrape by on supply anymore.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Lara's advice is very good. Any sort of voluntary work linked to children is helpful.
    If you cannot get a teaching job,then another job linked to school - TA or CS for example - will help keep the wolf from the door and be a useful learning experience.
    Schools will understand that it is hard to get a job, so will not reject you out of hand because you are not teaching. But the sooner you can get back into a school, even if not as a teacher, the better.
    Do read the Welcome thread with the clickbles: FAQs and shortlisting advice. It is essential that you produce the best possible application. There are fewer jobs being advertised at present - 15% fewer - and many many many more unemployed NQTs. Half of the 2010 cohort are still not doing their induction year, one third of the 2009 cohort are still in the same situation, and we have the new 2011 NQTS starting looking for work after Christmas.
    Do work hard on getting that application just right!
    Best wishes

I shall be contributing to the Seminars on Saturday 8th January. TheoGriff Job Seminar
    Look forward to seeing you!