1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have levels been replaced and by what?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Penny10p, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Penny10p

Penny10p Occasional commenter

A little bit of background, I teach overseas and am not a Maths teacher. I have been give a Maths class to teach and we have to assign levels to the students. I have a feeling that levels have gone from the NC but how are the kids now assessed in England? A quick Google search of NC documents didn't show anything about levels but didn't have any assessment guidance that I could see.

2. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

There is nothing really, just GCSE target grades, and saying whether students are on track for their target or not, from age 11! pretty meaningless.

You can use any system you want, including the old levels, if you choose to

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  3. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

Levels were abolished and schools were encouraged to develop their own assessment systems. Pearson Edexcel tried to assist by creating "Progression Steps" which you can read about here: https://www.pearsonschoolsandfecoll..._Services/Progression_for_Maths/Overview.aspx
    Some schools have started using GCSE grades (as numbers) from the start of Year 7. So a bright student might start in Year 7 on Grade 3 and be aiming for Grade 8.
    In primary schools they don't need levels as they now have a year-by-year national curriculum. And the SATs at the end of Year 6 give a "scaled score" rather than a level.
    Feel free to ask if you want more detail.

JohnJCazorla and install like this.
  4. install

install Star commenter

Do not use the old levels - its a big no,no. Numbered GCSE grades are being used by many schools now - even for Yrs7,8 and 9. :cool:

5. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

you can do if you want, its up to individual schools.

we are using some, for lower bands

6. install

install Star commenter

Not quite - using old level.systems when the old system has gone is not in any school's interest. The levels went for a reason. If they are still being used - leadership and teaching will be questioned as to why they are using old levels . Not good .:cool:

7. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Isn't there a HoD you can ask? The instruction to put the grades in should have been accompanied by a description of what they should be.

Don't sweat over what you actually put in. if you're going to judged on them then make them low now but otherwise random numbers in a certain range will do. Even better copy last years (with some slight adjustments).

dunnocks likes this.
  8. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

no, honestly, its fine, you are allowed to use anything you want.

The higher levels are no use because they no longer tally wtih the curriculum, but the lower levels do

9. install

install Star commenter

The op is not talking about lower levels - such as the old 'p' levels- though. Grades 1- 9 are now used in many schools right from Yr 7 for the majority of learners.

Some schools have shot themselves in the foot by carrying on with old levels already. With Ofsted questioning why they have not recognised the new changes fully. So a school seeming to be not aware of the new changes or altering their their system from the 'old levels' will be highly suspicious .

The advice of @adamcreen is spot on here:cool:

10. SparkMaths

SparkMaths Occasional commenter

I would suggest just using GCSE grades, Mathswatch has a good breakdown of which grade each topic is estimated to be since the specification (from Edexcel at least) only breaks topics down into three difficulty levels.

install likes this.
  11. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

unfortunatly, Ofsted is not consistent, my previous school uses the old levels ( for lower classes only) and was praised by ofsted and got a "good" a couple of months ago.

This is the worst school I have ever taught in though, and behaviour is terrible, bullying, among staff and students is considered normal behaviour, standard are low across the board, and results, ( in areas where coursework can't be done by the staff,) are poor.

so it is quite possible that this school was ofsteded by the three wise monkeys.

So if the consensus is don't use the old levels, maybe don't then. Or use parts of them, but call them something else.

In my current school, I am using them from p5 to a maximum of level 3, although none of the children I am using them on have reached level 3

install likes this.
  12. install

install Star commenter

Agree - and yes Ofsted do blow with the wind :)

13. nervousned

nervousned Lead commenter

Lots of references to Ofsted when the OP teaches overseas?

I would just use the grades from whatever qualification the students will eventually be entered for if they are secondary age. If they are primary age, I would probably use the old NC levels for an easier life.

install likes this.
  14. install

install Star commenter

The header indicates they want to emulate schs in England. The overseas op has asked ' how they are assessed in England ' - not how are they assessed in English schs overseas. I assume they wish to relate more to current systems ... :cool:

15. nervousned

Don't see how Ofsted is relevant and from the way I read it, the interest in how English schools do it was only so that it could hopefully be copied to fulfil their brief.

16. install

install Star commenter

You need to re-read the whole thread.

The poster where Ofsted is referenced for works in England in a school where they seem to use the 'old levels' still in part. Hope this helps. :)

Also the header is 'Have levels been replaced and by what?' from the op. So a big clue that they may be keen to know more about actual English schools and life without levels ..:)

17. nervousned

I don't have to reread the whole thread. Perhaps you do as you were the first poster to mention Ofsted. The OP posted only posted once. In their post they have a task to do and their only interest in what English schools do was in relative to that query.

My point was the thread was derailed to talk of Ofsted that had no relevance to the original query as the OP's school are not subject to it.

18. install

install Star commenter

Your reply is not helpful.

The mention.of Ofsted was to another poster as part of the 'open forum' . If you re-read the thread that is clear to see.. Posters are free to comment and reply all the time - and to offer help to each other as well as the op..

Either way all the best to you . By all means keep posting :)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  19. Penny10p

Penny10p Occasional commenter

Thank you for all the replies. We are an international school following the English system. The students will sit GCSE and A Level. We use the old levels but I had a feeling that they were no longer used in England. Before I suggest we scrap the current system, (which I don't like) I wanted to be sure that I was correct. And it would be great to be able to say "and this is the system they use instead...". But it seems the is no standard way of marking now!

install likes this.
  20. nervousned

The most common systems I've seen for GCSE and A level is either exam grades or reporting "meeting expectations", "below expectations", "above expectations", as in age related expectations.