1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Have I used up my funding?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by MsARobinson, May 28, 2011.

  1. Hi guys,
    I completed my undergraduate degree in 2010, but actually started it in 2006. I took a year out for which I still received funding for 2 of those terms.I actually deferred the year in December 2006 and rejoined my course in Sept 2007. (it was for unforseen circumstances).

    I am applying for a PGCE in 2012 after working full time for a year but Im afraid that I wont get the 1 year funding as I've used 3 years and 2 terms already.
    I hope this makes sense, can anybody shed any light on this at all?
    Thank you
  2. mypseudonym

    mypseudonym New commenter

    I can't say for certain whether you will or won't qualify for funding. However, here is my situation...
    I started my undergrad degree in 2001.
    • 1st year: My fees were fully paid for me by the LEA and I got maximum loan
    • 2nd year: My fees were fully paid for me by the LEA and I got maximum loan. Throughout the year I faced some issues and towards the end I decided to discount the year altogether.
    • 2nd year (again): I have to go through a whole lot of hoops to have my fees paid in full by the LEA - which they did and I got maximum loan.
    • 3rd year: My fees were fully paid for me by the LEA and I got maximum loan
    • 4th year: My fees were fully paid for me by the LEA and I got maximum loan
    ...so in total I had my fees paid and maximum loan for 5 years even though it was a 4 year course.
    I graduated in 2006 and I have been working since then. I have decided to go back and do a PGCE and I have just received confirmation that I will receive full loan and maintainance grant and tutition fee loan.
    ...so the fact that I had more than the basic funding for my undergrad degree I was still entitled to the same as everyone else for the PGCE, so I don't see why you wouldn't get it.
  3. mypseudonym

    mypseudonym New commenter

  4. Hi,
    Any funding you may be entitled to receive for your initial teacher training (ITT) will be completely separate to the funding you received during your undergraduate degree, and would not be reduced due to receiving two extra terms worth of funding.
    If you are applying to teach a subject regarded as a priority area of recruitment, and this subject receives a bursary, this would be guaranteed to be paid, tax-free and in full.
    You can find detailed information about the financial support available for candidates undertaking ITT for 2011/12 by visiting the following page of the TDA website:
    Please bear in mind that the information on that page relates to the existing financial support, and that some of the details may be liable to change for the 2012/13 academic year.
    During the year before applying I would highly recommend that you look to obtain as much classroom experience as possible in the subject or age-range you intend to teach. This classroom experience can be in the form of observing lessons, and does not need to be obtained through consecutive visits. It is, however, an important part of any application for an ITT course.
    I wish you all the best for the future, and hope that next year you will be beginning an enjoyable teaching career.
    Stephen Hillier, TDA

Share This Page