1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have I passed my OSCA?

Discussion in 'Science' started by sci84, Feb 25, 2012.

1. sci84

sci84 New commenter

We have always delivered OCR Nationals, but find the vague assessment criteria mean that pupils struggle to get above a Pass. We decided therefore to trial BTEC with one group.
    I have received the result of my OSCA as Accredited subject to standards verification - have I therefore passed it? Some of the questions I got wrong directly contradict answers on the practice tasks which is rather unhelpful and where they say an AO is not in enough detail, they don't then tell you what they would have expected the learner to write!

2. sci84

sci84 New commenter

We have always delivered OCR Nationals, but find the vague assessment criteria mean that pupils struggle to get above a Pass. We decided therefore to trial BTEC with one group.
    I have received the result of my OSCA as Accredited subject to standards verification - have I therefore passed it? Some of the questions I got wrong directly contradict answers on the practice tasks which is rather unhelpful and where they say an AO is not in enough detail, they don't then tell you what they would have expected the learner to write!

3. Roboteer

Roboteer New commenter

I can't remember what the wording was on mine.
    If you're not accredited then you have to go through the external verification procedure. This involves sending a minimum of 4 and I think maximum of 10 student's marked work off to be looked at by someone else. You have to send the work for an entire unit now (it used to just be one assignment from a unit) but you can choose the unit and the pupils. At least 50% of your sample needs to have been internally verified. You are usually asked to send the assignment first to be checked so that if there are any problems there you can get the students to correct their work before you send that off.
    I would suggest ringing Edexcel if you are not sure. They are usually really helpful. We had to go through EV last year as two of my students dropped to a course that at the time was not covered by my Forensic's LIV status. I've also been through it under the old regime. Althought it feels stressful it is really not too bad. Just make sure all your dates tally us as they should do when you send it off.