1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have I made a mistake?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by shannon0770, Jul 10, 2019.

1. shannon0770

shannon0770 New commenter

Hello,

I took a year out of work to go traveling, however, it extended a little. In total, I missed one academic year and an autumn term. On my return, I found full-time cover via a supply agency from January until the summer holidays and with the possibility to return in September. During this employment, I applied for 3 teaching roles and was lucky enough to be interviewed. I work within SEN, and it was a quiet year for SEN roles within my area. I was aware that 1 of these roles was above my current experience, but it was great practice. I was offered 2 jobs, but not the roles I had applied for, and therefore I turned them down.

I am completely aware that I cannot change the past etc, and in insight, I do not regret my decision as it did not feel right at the time. But what is my next step? I am conscious of being out of teaching for too long. Can you get back into contract teaching after supply teaching?

Thank you!

2. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

yes of course you can and no, don't take a role you don't want, you would only be miserable

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  3. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

I don’t think finding a permanent post in a good school is as easy as some people may think. I assume you had very strong reasons for turning down the posts you were offered, but sometimes it can be a good idea to be flexible in order to get your foot in the door.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Keep doing what you are doing, you were offered a post from two out of three applications...that's a VERY good ratio.

I agree with @ViolaClef though, sometimes it is best to accept something less than perfect just to get that permanent contract and a foot in the door. It is always easier to get a post while in a post.

agathamorse and ViolaClef like this.
  5. snowfairy

snowfairy New commenter

I took the decision to leave a permanent position last february and have been in long term supply contracts for an academic year and a term. I secured a permanent position in March for september... Keep applying and the right job will come up. You just need to be ready for the question as to why you took time out and have been on supply.

Don't worry about whether it was right to go or not....... thats done and was right for you. Be positive in interviews about what the experience can bring to your work and you'll find the right place for you.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. S_Lenihan

S_Lenihan New commenter

Good re-assuring replies!

7. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

While it's important not to take a job that will make you miserable, it's important to remember that work is work, and often involves tedious stuff that you might not do by choice. Sometimes you have to compromise.