1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have I made a mistake?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by loveheart21, Mar 4, 2019.

1. loveheart21

loveheart21 New commenter

I'm in my 2nd placement of a Scitt, training to be an art teacher. I love every single second of it.
    My problem is, there are no jobs. The one single job I applied for I didn't get an interview for, not sure why, the head teacher of my placement school said my application was strong.
    I've been checking jobs every day, I have widened my search and there's nothing. I feel like I've made a mistake training to do something with no opportunities and I'm really worried I won't have a job next year.
    Any advice on how to approach schools or find a job for next year?

2. agathamorse

agathamorse Occasional commenter

You will have to widen your search area. Art jobs are not as plentiful as core subject jobs. Try looking at independent and overseas jobs too. If you can't find a post for September, do some supply until a suitable job comes up.

install likes this.
  3. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Have you looked much further afield? Teaching overseas can be very very very nice. Unless you find yourself in a terrible school you will always earn more than you ever could in the UK. invariably teach nice kids, small classes, and better resourced schools. In the better schools as a classroom teacher you can take home more than a headmaster in inner city london....plus having your accomodation, bills, flights, medical, and much much more paid on top.
    Have a look at IB schools as there are a hell of a lot more of them than Britsih schools, and in IB schools is a highly regarded subject......and mainly, unlike in Scotland most of these places will actually have some sun

Just avoid Spain...its god awful on every level.

4. MissGeorgi

MissGeorgi Occasional commenter

Most teaching posts are advertised in April, May. There’s very little out there now. I’d prepare your application (some parts of covering letter etc) so you’re ready to go, come that time :)

5. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

There's not a lot out there at the moment. After Easter some more will come out and then after June half term it's largely NQTs who'll be applying.

What you might consider is if you can offer a second subject as well (e.g. I know some art teachers also offer photography A Level or textiles for DT). That might widen the pool of jobs you can apply for
    Good luck.

agathamorse likes this.