1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have I left in too late?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by mpjarmitage, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Hi,

I have finally made the decision that I want to teach in Asia (preferably Hong Kong) starting in August/September. My question is, have I left it too late to apply? Last week there seemed to be hundreds of primary teaching posts in HK but today I look and there is only 1! I am hoping there is a second wave. Please advise.

2. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

If you are thinking about ESF in Hong Kong then they have already started to invite suitable applicants for interview - mine is 3rd February via Skype!

3. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

Mine too! [​IMG]

4. I am very pleased for you all, but that doesn't really answer my question.

5. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

Sorry.
    Go to the ESF website and see which positions have not closed yet. Some close on the 27th and the KG recruitment closes after that. If there is nothing left in your field, keep an eye on their job listings page. I am fairly certain that they will not fill every position during this phase, and there should be at least a few more postings as the year goes on.

6. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Not too late, plenty of jobs coming up over the next month or so. In my day (when I was teaching not dictating) mar and apr were the busy months, with plenty still on offer in May and June. Nowadays, like Christmas, things seem to get earlier and earlier.
    Just because a single school in HK is interviewing shortly doesn't mean there's nothing else. On the other hand, why would you want HK? The high salaries mean nothing once there and you spend half your salary on shoe box sized accommodation. Thailand and Malaysia may not offer the salaries of HK, but the cost of living more than makes up for it; plus they're much more pleasant places to live in my humble opinion.

7. There are two job fairs in London - one this weekend, one next weekend, I expect heads will be re-evaulating their needs after these.

8. Thank you, do you know where these fairs are or where I could find more information?

9. Search Associates fair is this weekend and CIS is next weekend but both required you to register a long time ago and as far as I know are full. They are mentioned in quite a few threads.

10. I too thought I had missed the boat for the job fairs mentioned above. I registered with both Search and CIS at the beginning of this month with the intention of attending a fair in April. However, once registered with CIS they immediately invited me to their fair only 2 weeks ago. This contradicted the information on their web-site. I have been offered a post advertised in TES so have pulled out of their January fair. I would guess that others will follow suit so I would still try and register with them. Good luck!!!

11. Hi mpjarmitage,
    Another place to look for teaching jobs in Hong Kong is on the 'South China Morning Post' website, then click on the jobs link. You will see some international schools advertising and can then search for the individual schools for further details.
    Good luck with the search.