1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have I got an interview??

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by shakti1501, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Hi
    I have applied for a job and the closing date has passed. I have not heard anything directly from the school but I do know that they have requested references. One of my referees showed me the letter they had sent and it asked that references be returned no later than the 20th Feb, and that interviews would be held on the 21st. I am not sure what the form is here.... are they waiting to receive references before inviting me to interview? If so, why is the deadline for refs the day before interviews? Surely that would be too late to invite me to interview?
    Plus it's half term next week so surely time is a bit short for letting me know either way?
    As I say, I'm not sure what the form is here, so any help would be massively appreciated.
    Many thanks
    Shakti

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Have you been shortlisted?
    Probably, but not definitely.
    Some schools will short list, or rather long list, a dozen applicants and ask for references from them all, then whittle them down.
    But as you point out, the dates they quote makes this unlikely.
    So probably, yes, you have been shortlisted - well done!
    Ring them up on Friday morning if you haven't heard from them by then, say with half term looming, it would be good to know whether or not you are being called for interview.
    And start reading the interview clickables in the Welcome thread!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com

3. Thank you Theo, that is really helpful [​IMG]