1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have I done the right thing?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by chipsncheese, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Having juggled full time teaching and child rearing for the past 8 years, I recently came to the conclusion that it was all a bit much. This caused me to do a spot of re-evaluating and I decided to look for a job that would allow me a bit more time with the family and a bit less stress during the day.
    This week I landed a job that seems perfect. It's still in education and allows me to use lots of the skills that I've developed over the years but it's the right hours, right location, right combination of challenging but not over-the-top demanding like full on teaching. It will be less money and that means that there will be no fancy abroad holidays, no brand name trainers for the kiddies, no over the top christmas presents etc. It will be enough to pay bills, have camping trips and generally not starve to death.
    Having announced my upcoming move to colleagues I have been universally greeted by negativity and I am beginning to wonder whether a) I'm a bit of a light-weight for copping out of teaching or b) I'm deluding myself that we will all be a lot happier with less cash and more time.
    Would appreciate opinions - the more honest the better!
    Ta x

2. You've done the right thing. We all have these dilemmas and have to make sacrifices and compromises. I had to retire thru ill health 3 years ago. I'm on half-pay pension, but I do marking, tutorin and found part-time work in the NHS. I manage and so will you. Best wishes

3. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Might they simply envy you your houdini manouevre?

4. I'll second that. Think this is definitely more to the point

5. Me 3!! I certainly envy you.

6. p> This week I landed a job that seems perfect. It's still in education and allows me to use lots of the skills that I've developed over the years but it's the right hours, right location, right combination of challenging but not over-the-top demanding like full on teaching.

Pure unadulterated jealousy I'd say

7. Thanks guys!

It's good to get some positive comments. I was expecting a few people to be surprised by my career change, but the overwhelming negativity was making me doubt my decision. A couple of people seemed to take it really personally, as though I was criticising their choice to continue teaching and juggling family commitments. I really wasn't - just decided it wasn't for me any more.

Rationally thinking though, it's gonna be great. No more ridiculous meetings, no more target setting, no more data trawls, no more detentions, no more bottom set year 10s ...

8. bfudge69

bfudge69 New commenter

Is it negativity or your friends showing concern for what they may see as a huge risk?
    If it's just concern then remind them that a rest is as good as a change and you can always return later if it doesn't work out as planned. Things may be easier when your children are a little older too.
    I hope the extra time with your family and the reduction in stress more than make up for the reduction in pay.
    Good luck [​IMG]

9. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Do whatever is best for you, only you can decide for your own circumstances and ignore all gainsayers.

10. hazeymazey

hazeymazey New commenter

chips it sounds like you've given it a lot of thought so keep your conviction and give it a go. What's the worst that can happen? I resigned my smt post under very tricky work and home circumstances a few years ago and actually started supply teachingthus taking a drop in salary and a few - will I won't I work - risks along the way . This was by far the best thing I could have done for all sorts of reasons. I now teach part time as i've got a two year old and a baby - we could do with me working more in September when my maternity leave ends but we can just about manage if I stay part time and i'd rather spend the rest of my time with the children. But it is a very personal choice. I have nothing but admiration for people who make this kind of decision. I would guess some of your colleagues are a bit jealous.

11. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

Personally I find 'less cash, more time, has always worked for me so long as you earn enough to not be worried about money.

12. I did exactly this and started my new job 3 weeks ago .... and I am already happier at home ( gosh free time.....) and love my new job!!!

13. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Occasional commenter

It sounds perfect me.
    Take no notice of anyone else - your life, your priorities. Well done!