1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have I been put on the correct pay scale?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by lisamorgan16, Jul 30, 2011.

1. I graduated in July 2008 and began supply teaching that September. I've been working for the LA through Hays Education doing supply until recently when I started a contract for maternity cover (started last half term) and will continue right through until next August. My contract came through and I've been put on M2. Is that right? I was hoping i'd be higher up the pay scale because of my supply work. (Although I'll only be starting my NQT induction in September, does that affect my pay?)

I'd appreciate any advice before I speak to the LA about it.

Many thanks.

2. I graduated in July 2008 and began supply teaching that September. I've been working for the LA through Hays Education doing supply until recently when I started a contract for maternity cover (started last half term) and will continue right through until next August. My contract came through and I've been put on M2. Is that right? I was hoping i'd be higher up the pay scale because of my supply work. (Although I'll only be starting my NQT induction in September, does that affect my pay?)

I'd appreciate any advice before I speak to the LA about it.

Many thanks.

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

As an NQT not having completed induction you would expect to start on M1 - It sounds as though your present post has recognised your experience in supply through agency, which is does not have to do.

4. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

Work for private agencies does not entitle you to pay progression on the Teachers' payscale. They could have placed you on M1.
    It is possible to progrees to M3 from an M1 start , still with an incomplete Induction, but only if you've worked enough weeks (26) in each school year for an LA employer (through 16 months of permissable supply in 2 school years and possible 12 month extension.
    Schools can, of course, pay at any point of the scale for a new employee but it is less likely in the current economic climate.